GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, 1 invisible), 404 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,523
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,532
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,451
Posts1,061,158
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Oscars Night #150593
03/07/06 07:28 PM
03/07/06 07:28 PM
Some anonymous motel room.
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

It reminds me of all the people calling Last Days an attempt to whore money off of Cobain. Yeah, that's why he isn't mentioned in any promotion aside interviews, and the final credit while any other diretor would put "BASED ON KURT COBAIN" everywhere.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: Oscars Night #150594
03/07/06 07:33 PM
03/07/06 07:33 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
I know DV, I know.

On the same token of "whoring"....what about WALK THE LINE? A really nice film, but still, doesn't that term still technically allowable for that movie?

Re: Oscars Night #150595
03/07/06 08:00 PM
03/07/06 08:00 PM
Miami, FL
Don Andrew Offline
Underboss
Don Andrew  Offline
Underboss
Miami, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:
On the same token of "whoring"....what about WALK THE LINE? A really nice film, but still, doesn't that term still technically allowable for that movie?
Well, WALK THE LINE was in fact based on Johnny Cash's life, while LAST DAYS is vaguely based Kurt Cobain.

Hey, how's it going?
Re: Oscars Night #150596
03/07/06 09:22 PM
03/07/06 09:22 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
Quote:
Originally posted by ronnierocketAGO:

No really, no one has said WHY "CRASH" deserved the Best Picture Oscar of 2005. Why? Was it touching? Was the acting superb? Was the script(*vomits*) great?
It was the only one out of the 5 I'd seen, but I thought it was very good. Sure, prehaps the concept has been done before, but compared to some that have won in the recent past (LOTR, Sideways)Crash definately deserved it. It was not whiney melodramatic crap, it was simply the tales of people's lives. It was done well, and was refreshingly diffrent than the rest of the films that were released last year.

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: Oscars Night #150597
03/07/06 09:42 PM
03/07/06 09:42 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Quote:
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
are you saying that audiences are somehow more comfortable with the eccentric, more flamboyant type of homosexual as Capote was (or the comical one played by Nathan Lane in 'Birdcage)...rather than the fictional cowboys in love depicted in Brokeback Mtn?

I know you're not asking me, but I'd say yes.

Not that that's necessarily what Lavinia is saying - altho I think it is - but, "yes" I'd agree with that statement for pretty much the same reasons she gave.

Quote:
Frankly, I hadn't even heard of the film 'Crash' until this past week as it got close to Oscar night. Contrary to all they hype around Brokeback Mtn precisely because of the subject matter. The fact that the move that received MUCH less publicity was still considered worthy of the Best Picture vote speaks volumes for the work itself.

Though I haven't seen either of them...it appears more and more that the right movie won.
I don't see how you can say that without having seen either one and forming your own opinion.

I haven't seen either myself, so I have absolutely no idea whatsoever which one - if either - should have won since all of the criteria used in judging is 100% subjective.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Oscars Night #150598
03/07/06 10:52 PM
03/07/06 10:52 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:
[QUOTE]...Not that that's necessarily what Lavinia is saying - altho I think it is - but, "yes" I'd agree with that statement for pretty much the same reasons she gave....
Somehow, that doesn't surprise me. Either the answer or the fact that you sought out only my post to reply to.

:rolleyes:

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Oscars Night #150599
03/07/06 10:56 PM
03/07/06 10:56 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
It merited a response.

The first part I was more agreeing with Lavinia than responding to what you said.

The second part, I was really wondering.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Oscars Night #150600
03/07/06 11:09 PM
03/07/06 11:09 PM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

For anyone who cares, we have our own voting at the Film board. Here were my picks.

Best Film
Broken Flowers (Jim Jarmusch)
Grizzly Man (Werner Herzog)
Last Days (Gus Van Sant)
Match Point (Woody Allen)
No Direction Home: Bob Dylan (Martin Scorsese)

Best Director
Jim Jarmusch (Broken Flowers)
Werner Herzog (Grizzly Man)
Gus Van Sant (Last Days)
Woody Allen (Match Point)
Martin Scorsese (No Direction Home: Bob Dylan)

Best Male Performance
Bill Murray (Broken Flowers)
Jake Gyllenhaal (Jarhead)
Michael Pitt (Last Days)
George Clooney (Syriana)
Joaquin Phoenix (Walk the Line)

Best Female Performance
Frances Conroy (Broken Flowers)
Jessica Lange (Broken Flowers)
Scarlett Johansson (Match Point)
Reese Witherspoon (Walk the Line)

Best Original Screenplay
Broken Flowers (Jim Jarmusch)
Match Point (Woody Allen)

Best Adapted Screenplay
Batman Begins
Jarhead
Sin City
Syriana
War of the Worlds

Best Cinematography
Broken Flowers
Grizzly Man
Jarhead
Last Days
Syriana

Best Experiment
Grizzly Man Interesting look at how one filmmaker praises the beauty of another man's amateur filming.
Last Days Van Sant's amazing character study where most of the greatness is subtle rather than explained.

Proud Member of the Gangster BB Bratpack - Fighting Elitism and Ignorance Since 2006
Re: Oscars Night #150601
03/08/06 04:54 AM
03/08/06 04:54 AM
Lavinia from Italy Offline OP
Underboss
Lavinia from Italy  Offline OP
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:
The first part I was more agreeing with Lavinia
thanks Plaw. This means a lot to me.

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Oscars Night #150602
03/08/06 04:59 AM
03/08/06 04:59 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
So are you saying that audiences are somehow more comfortable with the eccentric, more flamboyant type of homosexual as Capote was (or the comical one played by Nathan Lane in 'Birdcage)...rather than the fictional cowboys in love depicted in Brokeback Mtn?
correct

Quote:
But aside from that, do you truly feel that the cowboys in love theme is the reason for it not winning Best Picture over Crash?
I think it can be a major reason.

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)
Re: Oscars Night #150603
03/08/06 05:17 AM
03/08/06 05:17 AM
MistaMista Tom Hagen Offline
Underboss
MistaMista Tom Hagen  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
For anyone who cares, we have our own voting at the Film board.
Did you see the thread I posted about a week ago? I did something similar.

Winners in bold.

Best Picture
- "Brokeback Mountain"
- "Layer Cake"
- "The Weatherman"
- "Capote"
- "Broken Flowers"

Best Actor
- Jake Gyllenhaal in "Brokeback Mountain"
- Heath Ledger in "Brokeback Mountain"
- Nicolas Cage in "The Weatherman"
- Phillip Seymour Hoffman in "Capote"
- Bill Murray in "Broken Flowers"

Best Actress
?

Best Supporting Actor
- Colm Meaney in "Layer Cake"
- Michael Caine in "The Weatherman"
- Clifton Collins Jr. in "Capote"
- George Clooney in "Syriana"
- Benicio Del Toro in "Sin City"

Best Supporting Actress
- Michelle Williams in "Brokeback Mountain"
- Hope Davis in "The Weatherman"
- Sharon Stone in "Broken Flowers"
- Catherine Keener in "The 40 Year Old Virgin"
- Anne Hathaway in "Brokeback Mountain"

Best Director
- Ang Lee for "Brokeback Mountain"
- Matthew Vaughn for "Layer Cake"
- Gore Verbinski for "The Weatherman"
- Bennet Miller for "Capote"
- Jim Jaramusch for "Broken Flowers"

I dream in widescreen.
Re: Oscars Night #150604
03/08/06 06:18 AM
03/08/06 06:18 AM
Don Vercetti Offline
Don Vercetti  Offline

Layer Cake was first released in 2004.

Re: Oscars Night #150605
03/08/06 08:06 AM
03/08/06 08:06 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Lav, I'm going to watch BBM this weekend, don't know when I'll be able to see the Crash, but have you seen Crash by any chance?

I still think Academy really liked BBM with 8 nominations, giving nods to the movies most people haven't seen based on political/social motives. They are more than ready for these themes. If you look at the awards, you see that the screenplay for both movies won, one of them being original screen play, the other adapted from a book. However with a best director award against a best editing award, I really couldn't say which one would win the best picture. I guess the brevity won the reward. Or Maybe Academy gave the final nod to Crash only because of the present atmosphere in the US and the tensions in the past years.

I'm not sure what this movie is about, but I've to tell you, it is not a good feeling being a Middle-Eastern/Arab right now in the US. Living in the South for a while, I've seen the discrimination against African American is also well and alive. Some people literally move out of a neighborhood because some African Americans have just moved in. Even African Americans try to stick together, like in the Church, they try to sit in a few rows up in the balcony or in the back and most of them don't feel like mixing in the crowd, doing discrimination against themselves or others(?).

This might be the problem only in an almost small town like Birmingham AL., but it is far from being a solved issue everywhere. I think, they felt that this would give this movie a chance to be seen by more people, while BBM is already a controversial movie and will be seen by many people with 8 nominations and three wins.

Just my two baseless cents.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Oscars Night #150606
03/08/06 08:33 AM
03/08/06 08:33 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
Originally posted by afsaneh77:
Lav, I'm going to watch BBM this weekend,
good, I'm looking forward to your comments! Even if I think you'll find it...how could I say? too romantic....well, sort of... Just assuming, uh?

Quote:
don't know when I'll be able to see the Crash, but have you seen Crash by any chance?
not seen it yet. But sure I'll do it ASAP. I'm anxious to see the film which snatched BBM best picture oscar! :p
Now, seriously. I see where you come from, Afi. I'm glad if this movie -- Crash -- is going to be watched by a larger audience after getting a BP oscar. Racism all of sort is far from being won, and definitely not only in USA, so any occasion to meditate about it, is to be entirely welcomed, really. But I don't like these considerations -- right and noble as they are -- might have been more important than merely evaluating the quality, the beauty and the greatness of a movie. After all, it is cinema we are talking about.

Today I'm a little more relaxed on the whole story. I know BBM is a splendid piece of cinema. It deeply touched my heart and I'm grateful. I've been moved. Thousands people have been moved all around the world and more and more thousands will be moved in the future. After all, this is the best achievement a movie can get.

Re: Oscars Night #150607
03/08/06 09:35 AM
03/08/06 09:35 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
I don't review many movies that I watch, but I'll make sure to let you know what I thought of it.

Of course, I only guessed about those considerations. I can't say for sure until I watch them both.

I remember I wasn't pleased with Million Dollar Baby winning last year, but after watching all the nominated movies, I think Academy simply chose the best picture without any considerations, if you know what I mean.

Re: Oscars Night #150608
03/08/06 10:08 AM
03/08/06 10:08 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
I remember I wasn't pleased with Million Dollar Baby winning last year, but after watching all the nominated movies, I think Academy simply chose the best picture without any considerations, if you know what I mean.
I don't remember which were the other nominees last year. Oh, wait, maybe The Aviator. Which was a bit of a disappointement for me. And I'm gonna watch Sideways soon so I don't know. Sure Million dollar baby was good, very good. Not a milestone in movie history though.
Ok, oh and as for BBM I don't need a formal review, Afi. Just your thoughts. Your usual brilliant insightful thoughts.

Re: Oscars Night #150609
03/08/06 10:12 AM
03/08/06 10:12 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Yeah, about considerations, I meant for the director of the Aviator.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lavinia from Italy:
...as for BBM I don't need a formal review, Afi. Just your thoughts. Your usual brilliant insightful thoughts.
I have a feeling you are bribing me with this compliment so that I give it a good review...

Re: Oscars Night #150610
03/08/06 10:22 AM
03/08/06 10:22 AM
Underboss
Underboss
Quote:
I have a feeling you are bribing me with this compliment so that I give it a good review...
You think I'm smarter than I actually am, but....ok, if it's going to work.....(I doubt it is)

Re: Oscars Night #150611
03/08/06 08:31 PM
03/08/06 08:31 PM
New York
Meggie Offline
Underboss
Meggie  Offline
Underboss
New York
I know I am a bit late on this post but I was very happy that Crash won. I can't believe it, and I was in shock myslef, but it really was a very deep and compelling movie.
'I have a huge crush on Clooney and am very happy for him as well.
I still don't get it about Best Song...how could that happen?

LA BELLA MAFIA
Re: Oscars Night #150612
03/09/06 06:55 AM
03/09/06 06:55 AM
Underboss
Underboss
I couldn't refrain from linking everybody to this.

A post Oscar tribute to BBM

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull