Quote:
Originally posted by DonMichaelCorleone:
It seems to me from what I've heard that if the movie was about 2 straight people that it would have been just another love story and no big deal about it.
ok, it's a beautiful, heartbreaking gay love story. What's the difference? The film is great not because it's about two gay men. It is great because it amazingly shows two people in love (which happen to be gay) that cannot be happy because of social pressures. And it does so with two amazing actors (both deserving an Oscar IMO), few words and no special effects. Thought provoking not (just) because of the gay issues, but because it shows the total devastation of two people which are denied to be what they really are.

Quote:
Originally posted by DonMichaelCorleone:
If it is the exact same story but you put Adam Sandler with another man rather than a woman should that make it oscar worthy, in my opinion it doesn't.
You mean, making a comedy out of a tragedy?
sorry I think I didn't see what you mean.

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)