Quote:
Originally posted by Turi Giuliano:
I've got tons of people hooked on Tempranillo, a Spanish red, from recommending it to everyone. Sadly I've developed a stomach ulcer and had to seriously cut down.
Sorry about your ulcer, Turi.
Tempranillo is Spain's ubiquitous great wine grape--like Cabernet Sauvignon in Bordeaux or the Napa Valley. Plenty of good stuff around.
Here's a fun-filled factoid about wine in the UK:
Despite its prominence in the wine trade over many centuries, the UK had (may still have) a big hole in its wine regulations: the UK permits importers and wholesalers to bring in wine from overseas in bulk (casks and vats), and bottle and label it in the UK. Naturally this leads to, uh, temptations--such as cutting the wine with rotgut from Algeria or the Midi in France, or even Thames water. I used to subscribe to a UK wine magazine. Every month, they'd have a big dinner in a fancy restaurant, and scarf down a big selection of supposedly top-notch wines. The Bordeaux they ordered were all ok: all great Bordeax wines are bottled at the estate. But most Burgundy vineyards are too small for the owners to bottle and ship their own wines, so they sell them in bulk to shippers, some of whom sell them in bulk to UK firms. Almost all the "great" Burgundies the wine magazine people sampled were "off" in some way. They used polite euphemisms such as "not quite up to snuff," or "a curious vintage"--meaning that they were drinking doctored wine.
The US does not have anything like the UK's long history of involvement with wine--in fact, the US banned production and importation of nearly all wine and alcoholic beverages during Prohibition. But the US wine law is more protective in its own way. The US requires that any alcoholic beverage imported into this country be sold in the same container that it arrived in--can't be bottled and sold here. That rule isn't designed to prevent the kind of fraud that the UK magazine people encountered--it's meant to assure that Uncle Sam collects his maximum tax on alcoholic beverages. :rolleyes:

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.