Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:
[quote]Originally posted by Double-J:
[b]I would place the assassination of JFK as a landmark event in our history, perhaps rivaled only by Lincoln's emancipation of the slaves, the attacks on Pearl Harbor, and the adoption of the Constitution. Certainly, JFK has been the single most pivotal event in the last 50 years.
I beg to differ, JJ.

I was working in Jersey City on 9/11, with a great view of lower Manhattan. Everyone in my building who didn't have a clear look from their windows at the World Trade Center was standing in the street, watching the towers burn.

I was standing next to a woman who was somewhat older than I am, who was standing next to a young man in this twenties who was obviously a co-worker of hers.

I remember remarking to the woman, as I gestured to the young man next to her, "Just as the Kennedy assassination was the defining moment in our lives, this will be the defining moment in his." [/b][/quote]True, but it isn't necessarily fair to measure 9/11 with the Kennedy Assassination yet because enough time hasn't passed to weigh the consequences of 9/11 on long term policy and the direction of the nation. Though perhaps I should have said that Kennedy's death was a defining moment of the 20th century, rather than the last 50 years in general.

If nothing else, JFK's speech at the American University showed that there was a new life being breathed into the United States. The New Frontier, as it were. In fact, the speech that Kennedy was set to deliver at the Trade Mart in Dallas likewise emphasizes the new direction of this nation. The course was forever altered, however, on November 22nd, 1963. Had Kennedy not died, we may not have entered into Vietnam, and the country may appear very different than it does now.