Quote:
Originally posted by Enzo Scifo:
But don't forget that a large majority of Africans still believes strongly in God, but also in the Catholic Church and the Pope. When the Pope says something this foolish (which forbidding condoms is, IMO) then I just think "Whatever, dude". But Africans would rather obey what he says.

Of course it's also the mentality of African men (prefer intercourse without condoms) and African women (don't object strongly), but I think the Pope still has the power to do something about this problem in Africa.

Again, whether or not the Pope is an influential figure does not mean that free will is eliminated from the individual. I think most American men and women would prefer to have sex without condoms or other forms of birth control if at all possible, but this is curbed through education, common sense, and sociological standards. That doesn't mean that people use condoms because the church says so (though a small minority probably does). Though a practicing Catholic, I certainly have no objection to the use of prophylactics such as condoms. I can however understand why the Pope would object, because a condom (as well as all forms of birth control) are designed to prevent a natural and spiritual process of conception, and, can easily lend itself to questionable lifestyle decisions (such as promiscous sex for lust). I would much rather see people use condoms that not (turn on an episode of "Cops" or "Jerry Springer" and see how shallow the gene pool can be), but I see why the Catholic Church would oppose most forms of birth control, with the exception of the rhythm method.

My point is simply this - whether or not the Catholic Church disagrees with birth control has little consequence, imho. As you've already said, most African men and women (and I would think all men and women) find it more pleasurable to have natural, unprotected sex.