Quote:
Originally posted by MaryCas:
I watched it every time it came on Million Dollar Movie, and Son of Kong and Mighty Joe Young. I should have been an Ape-ologists.
Then I'm not monkeying around when I tell ya that you HAVE to see this version.

I saw the first tv commercials for it a few weeks ago and I laughed to myself thinking "no ape moves that way", "this doesn't look very good at all", etc. I kept making up reasons NOT to like it. After sitting through the first hour of this new version I was sure I was right. Then, BAMMM, it changed gears and I was on the edge of my seat or feeling (deep down downside) sorry for Kong.

The guy that plays the Carl Denham part stinks. Much like Sicilian Babe pointed out in her recollections, a lot of the fun of the original was Robert Armstrong (especially his antics with the natives). Thats totally missing here, although the natives are ONE HELL OF A LOT SCARIER than in the original. Also, you get a total feel of being in the God-forsaken jungle here, not so in the original. I won't go into detail but the scene at the bottom of the gorge will give ya the willies.

Finally, the look that Kong gives (his facial expressions are absolutely awesome) Ann Darrow (Naomi Watts) just before he meets his demise is something you won't soon forget.