GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 502 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,963
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,674
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,545
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,493
Posts1,061,862
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Terrorists kill 58 people in India #134276
11/03/05 12:41 PM
11/03/05 12:41 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Quote:
Originally posted by svsg:
Although this thread has digressed very far from its original topic, I would like to know your views on Pakistan in the context of the points raised by you as quoted above. India has been maintaining all along that the terrorists(including the group responsible for this attack) in the state of Kashmir at the Indo-Pak border are actively trained and funded by Pakistan. Let us, for the moment, not discuss whether this official Indian position is true or not. Assume it anyway you wish. But the reason I ask your view on pakistan is that US has been an long time ally of pakistan. What distinction do you think Pakistan has that separates it from other Islamic nations. And what are your thoughts on the leader of that country and the form of government there?

Thanks,
svsg
In my opinion, I have no doubt that terrorists affiliated with Al Qaeda in Pakistan. Or Syria. Or Lebanon. Considering they border Afghanistan, would it be entirely surprising if former Taliban members were hiding and actively participating in terror cells in Pakistan?

I wouldn't doubt if there was Pakistani funding of these terrorists - considering that these two nations are virtually prepared to nuke each other over Kasmir, it wouldn't surprise me if they were trying to use these kind of tactics to weaken the resolve of the other side. These nations have been fighting since the British mandate was split in 1947. They are also one of the more notorious drug trafficking nations in the area, with opium being of huge illicit profits.

Musharraf has taken power in a similar way to Fulgencio Batista in Cuba, where his military just walked in and assumed control, suspending the constitution. Although he is an ally in the US, and has received votes of legitimacy and confidence from his government, it isn't necessarily a situation that is in line with plurality and democracy ideals supported by the United States. It is also questionable as to whether his committment to hunting down terrorists in his nation is legitimate.

I think though, the United States is willing to take Islamic nations that are friendly to the U.S., even if it means sacrificing the values we stand for. It isn't unprecedented.

Re: Terrorists kill 58 people in India #134277
11/03/05 12:44 PM
11/03/05 12:44 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Quote:
Originally posted by Enzo Scifo:
[quote]Originally posted by Double-J:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by Enzo Scifo:
[b]Hand over to who?
Interpol? Maybe for prosecution in the International Court of Justice? [/b][/quote]The Den Haag Court? [/b][/quote]The Hague. You know, the UN's ICJ?

International Court of Justice

Re: Terrorists kill 58 people in India #134278
11/03/05 12:47 PM
11/03/05 12:47 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Quote:
Originally posted by Double-J:
I think though, the United States is willing to take Islamic nations that are friendly to the U.S., even if it means sacrificing the values we stand for. It isn't unprecedented.
I don't understand the above. I think you may have "mis-wrote" something there.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Terrorists kill 58 people in India #134279
11/03/05 01:57 PM
11/03/05 01:57 PM
Milky Way
Enzo Scifo Offline
Underboss
Enzo Scifo  Offline
Underboss
Milky Way
Quote:
[quote]Originally posted by Enzo Scifo:
[b] The Den Haag Court?
The Hague. You know, the UN's ICJ? [/b][/quote]Yeah I know what you mean, but I spelled it in the language of the country where the Court is. Sorry for that...

See, we can act as smart as we want, but at the end of the day, we still follow a guy who fucks himself with kebab skewers.
Re: Terrorists kill 58 people in India #134280
11/03/05 07:28 PM
11/03/05 07:28 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline OP
Underboss
svsg  Offline OP
Underboss
Existential Well
Quote:

That is definitely a pragmatic approach. International relations are generally based on mutual benefit rather than morals. Thanks for your views.

Re: Terrorists kill 58 people in India #134281
11/03/05 10:16 PM
11/03/05 10:16 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:
[b]I think though, the United States is willing to take Islamic nations that are friendly to the U.S., even if it means sacrificing the values we stand for. It isn't unprecedented.
I don't understand the above. I think you may have "mis-wrote" something there. [/b][/quote]Rewriting...

The U.S. is willing to ally with nations who don't have the same ideas of plurality and democracy in exchange for economic ties or political stability in a region (read: Batista's Cuba, Somoza's Nicaragua, etc.)

Re: Terrorists kill 58 people in India #134282
11/03/05 10:18 PM
11/03/05 10:18 PM
D
Double-J Offline
Double-J  Offline
D

Quote:
Originally posted by svsg:
[b]
That is definitely a pragmatic approach. International relations are generally based on mutual benefit rather than morals. Thanks for your views. [/b][/quote]As far as Pakistan and their fight against terrorism, from what I saw on the news today they killed one or two Al Qaeda members and apprehended another. I'm looking for a news story as we speak...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull