Freaks & Geeks - [TV-Series 1999-2000]

I only vaguely remember this series from the turn of the millennium, so I rented it from NetFlix as I remember it being pretty good at the time; what little I saw of it.

Set in the early 80's, this is probably one of the most realistic depictions of High School and the lives of suburban teenagers I've seen. At least how *I* remember High School, because it was the same time period I was in that hell.

The title represents two groups of students: The "Freaks" include the burn-outs, rockers, pot-heads, and basically the less academically-minded students. The "Geeks" of course represent the nerds, dorks, marching band members, and the like. Other groups in the show include the jocks & cheerleaders.

The short (too short!) 18-episode series is basically about a "good" girl (top student, "mathlete", etc) who starts running with the Freaks to the dismay of her Geek little brother and family. It's also about her little brother's geek peers and their trials and tribulations, especially in gym class.

What attracted me most to this series was that I belonged to both of these groups in High School to a great extent, at the same time period, listened to the same music (GREAT soundtrack!!), and basically did the same types of things. I "knew" all the characters in the series in real life!

Anyone who went to High School in the late 70's / early 80's would probably love this show, created by actor/director/writer/comedian Paul Feig, author of Kick Me : Adventures in Adolescence and Superstud : Or How I Became a 24-Year-Old Virgin. (F&G seems to be somewhat autobiographical, and I can surely relate, so I'm going to try to get those books.)

This series will make you laugh your ass off one moment, and choking back tears the next.

Now I need to buy the DVD set to own this worthy gem, and listen to the commentaries the next time I watch what has became one of my new favorite series. What a shame the network never renewed this most brilliant show!

This is definitely recommended for those around my age as you'll get all the timely references chocked in this series. Those younger may miss a few of those, but, the characters themselves I'd imagine to be timeless. (Tho what struck me was the absence of anyone of color in this series, set in a Detroit suburb.)

Any other fans here?

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations