Quote:
Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
I just read an article about the founders of Pat's, but damned if I can remember what it was about. I know it was 2 brothers, and they invented the cheesesteak, and the older brother was Pat, and he died a number of years ago. Beyond that, I can't remember what the article was about. Maybe the other brother died now. Hmmmmm...my brain must be going soft...
Nah, your brain is not soft. It's just old age.

Here ya go :

Pat's Steaks Co-Founder Dies At 90
(CBS 3) PHILADELPHIA South Philadelphia is mourning the loss of a man who helped make "cheesesteak" a household word.

Restaurant icon Harry Olivieri, who, with his brother, turned Pat's Steaks into a Philadelphia landmark, passed away at the age of 90 in an Atlantic County Hospital.

During lunch in 1930, Pat Olivieri decided he wanted something a little different than the typical hot dogs he’d serve at his south Philadelphia stand.

By grilling steak and onions and placing it all on an Italian roll, he created an immensely popular sandwich, but when he added cheese to it a number of years later, it became an infamous Philadelphia staple.

Harry Olivieri, Pat’s brother, assisted him in creating the world-famous Pat’s King Of Steaks restaurant near 9th and Wharton Streets that still stands today.

“This is the originator of the steak sandwich, you know. It all started here, so Harry has that claim,” said Tom Francano.

The restaurant has attracted everyone from celebrities, to politicians, but the regulars that will miss Harry Oliveri most.

“Part of a legacy, part of a puzzle that’s missing. I’m pretty sure it’s going to affect the community a lot and Pat’s, but I think they’ll keep on shelling out those good steaks,” said Rodney Woodland.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.