Highlights of the discussions that have taken place over the past 9 months or so in regards to the hotel that we were going to stay at, the request for smoking rooms, and the restaurant/venue that originally gave us the idea of going to Philly.

Round and Round we go, where we stop nobody knows!

Quote:
I think that whatever we end up doing, we should do it in a place that will have decent weather at that time of year, and in a hotel that offers other amenities
Quote:
And don't forget SB the no smoking law for those who smoke in NY.
Quote:
There is a place in Philadelphia that SC told me about a while back. The ship used in GF II, The Moshulu, has been converted into a restaurant in Philadelphia at Penn's Landing.
Quote:
How cool would that be? Very GF!!
Quote:
That's a great idea too! I remember a discussion about that ship. Very cool!
Quote:
That sounds like a great place. Just think we could go stand on another piece of GF history.
Quote:
Since I won't be able to attend unless a NYC or NJ location is chosen...I'll abstain from any voting and wait to see what's decided.
Quote:
You have to remember that alot of you smoke and doesn't NYC have the no smoking law? So I don''t know how if that would work for you smokers.
Quote:
How many would REALLY be interested in Philadelphia?
Quote:
Dinner on The Moshulu.
Quote:
I can't think of a better venue for dinner than the ship,
Quote:
The only thing I would suggest is a hotel closer to what they call "Center City". Penn's Landing is a bit out of the way
Quote:
Philly is doable for me. It does sound like fun. And we can always cab over Penn's landing for dinner, because the Mosholu sounds like a must.
Quote:
I did some research and found this hotel, which is exactly 7 minutes away from the Moshulu and Penn's Landing where the Moshulu and other places are located on the waterfront.
Quote:
Again, not to put too fine a point on it, but Penn's Landing and the waterfront is a good 16-20 blocks from Center City. We'd be much better off in Center City, where there are hotels and restaurants in all price ranges and you are walking distance to Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, etc., and the all-important shopping.
Quote:
Embassy Suites City Center, which also gives breakfast, plus they have happy hour every night included in your room, have rates of $179-$199 for those dates, depending on which suite you book. It seems very centrally located, within walking distance of museums, etc. and 1.8 miles to Penns Landing.
Quote:
Here's a Hotel that I found in Philadelphia that's reasonably priced and close to the Historic sites:

Wyndham Philadelphia At Franklin Plaza
17Th And Race Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
$119 per night.
Shula's Steak House - On-Site
Terrace Restaurant - On Site
Cocktail Atrium Lobby Lounge/evening Shula's No Name Lounge
In Room High Speed Internet
Computer Business Center or cybercafe
Quote:
Just saw the post about The Wyndham. My husband was just in Philly on business and stayed there (he highly recommends Room 601). He was very happy with the hotel and said that Don Shula's was one of the best steakhouses he's ever eaten in.
Quote:
P.S. What happens if they ban smoking in Philly by then, like they're trying to?
Quote:
Y'know, at this point I'm not really concerned anymore about where/when the Convention finally ends up. Watching all this lighthearted headbutting over the place/date is almost as much fun as being there will be.
If that is, I end up being there.
Carry on....
Quote:
.....a Hilton Garden Inn in Philly in the center city or city center whatever...... to give us a 50% discount. Sounds good to me. And yes they have a restaurant and a lounge on the top floor, a pool, fitness center,suites.
Quote:
It's not really in the "center" of center city, but it's close enough. Much better location than the waterfront, IMO.
Quote:
As far as I'm concerned you guys can choose the hotel. I'm not fussy as long as it's clean and not outrageusly priced.
Quote:
I think it is a Hilton Garden Inn in the City Center somewhere.
Quote:
Who agreed to that? When?
Quote:
Nobody has agreed on anything yet
Quote:
I will add, however, that the Wyndham in Philly is a nice hotel, fairly centrally located, and the price seems to be about as good as we're gonna get there.
Quote:
Is it in that City Center area that you said we need to stay at?
Quote:
Yes. Pretty much walking distance to everything except the waterfront area, and maybe South Street.
Quote:
This sounds like a great place to me!
Quote:
Sounds good to me...
Quote:
I contacted that WYNDHAM PHILADELPHIA FRANKLIN PLAZA, and I asked them a few questions, and here are their response:

Good morning!

Thank you for inquiring at the Wyndham Franklin Plaza Hotel in Philadelphia. The Staff and I would be delighted with the opportunity to host your group in August 2006. Here are answers to your posed questions:

1. We have two full bar service lounges, a trendy lounge located in our Atrium Lobby and a more private cigar-type lounge located in our Shula's Steakhouse. (Both serving alcoholic and non-alcoholic bevarages plus food from select menu)

2. The Wyndham Philadelphia's cancel policy is 24-Hours.
Quote:
Show of hands who wants to stay at this hotel?
Quote:
Two bars AND Shula's!!??!!
STOP! Go no further! This one works for me!
Quote:
The Wyndham looks nice by the pictures
Quote:
ME! ME! ME! 2 Bar/Lounges!!!!
Quote:
I'm going to book a room for that weekend at the Wyndham.
Quote:
smoking or not
Quote:
I need to know how many smoking rooms we will need.
------------------------------------------------------------

Great stuff!

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.