Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:
As of July 1st 2006 a new law will go into effect and The Wyndham, along with other Philadelphia Hotels, will be 100% non smoking.
Well when I called them earlier, the receptionist told me that this was true. However after thinking about this I decided to call them back and asked to speak to a Hotel manager. The manager said that although a new law was passed about non smoking restaurants and bars, as far as he knew it was up to the Hotel themsleves to take it a step farther and make it 100% non smoking.

He said that the Wyndham, which by the way is now called the Sheraton, is still booking smoking rooms and as of right now is NOT a 100% non smoking hotel.

City council approves smoking ban in Philadelphia

June 16, 2006
PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- City Council approved a bill that would ban smoking in most public places, including many bars and all restaurants, and allow Philadelphia to join the ranks of other smoke-free regions.
The measure still needs approval from Mayor John Street and faces some amendments when the council reconvenes after its summer recess. Street said the bill was reasonable, but did not indicate if he would sign it.

The bill, approved Thursday, would exempt sidewalk cafes, specialty tobacco establishments, private clubs and so-called local taverns -- places where drinks alone constitute at least 90 percent of gross sales.

It is those "buts" that irk Jan Zarkin, owner of Rembrandt's restaurant. Zarkin said he would support the ban if it applied to all establishments.

"I simply want it to be fair," Zarkin said.

Council members expect to pass some technical amendments to the bill in the fall, including one that would make the ban effective in January. The other would grant permanent exemptions to local taverns instead of the temporary, two-year reprieve in the bill's current language.

Violators could be fined $25 to $300.

Fourteen states and at least seven countries have passed smoke-free workplace laws that include restaurants and bars, according to the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids.

Don Cardi

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.