Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cardi:

I found two restaurants right near the Moshulu. One is an Italian place called "La Veranda" and the other is a steak and seafood place called "The Chart House."

Calling Big Daddy Don......Are you familiar with The Chart House or La Veranda? Give us your thoughts on these two places.
yo Yo YO - Big Daddy in da House ......

Actually I have also been to both La Veranda and The Chart House. The Chart House is a 'nice' place - actually kind of a interesting layout and overall a good menu selection - food was good - not anything special though and the price was average, maybe a bit on the high side, but not what I would consider expensive - not like a BookBinders. The restraurant sits on Penn's Landing and again if you call for reservations - ask for of the river view.

La Veranda is the place I mentioned in my earlier post. Very, very good - if you like Italian. And I was serious earlier when I said the rumor is that it is owned and run by the mob. Not sure there is any truth is that but regardless, I thought this place was fantastic. Nice ambience, dimly lit, low music - and the food was great, as was their service. The type of place where they have multiple waiters waiting on you - a few at a time and we were only there with another couple. Price wise, I didn't think it was overly expensive - a bit on the high side for Italian but over all a fair price for what you get. Again both good places - I prefer La Veranda over Chart House given the choice and would recommend that.

One other suggestion - the Spirit of Philadelphia is right next to the Chart House. Most probably know the Spirit of NY - same thing. Leaves from Penn's Landing takes you up and around the river. The place where all the waiters and waitresses all want to be on broadway so they perform during the night - nearly every waiter is gay also. Food is not bad, not as good as you will get from the restaurants you have mentioned but kind of nice night to spend on the ship. Just need to be careful of the weather - if it rains not a very enjoyable trip than.

I think that Pork had a pretty good agenda laid out in his post. I am trying to think how far of a walk is La Veranda is from the Moshulu. It is a bit of a walk but I don't think too far, maybe a mile but might want to check to make sure you can get from La Veranda to the Moshula via the Penn's Landing area as La Veranda sits a bit further down then the others. Pretty sure you can, but has been years since I have been to the Moshulu so don't want to give bad info. If it is where I think - walking off that pasta along the waterfront to get some drinks and dessert at the Moshulu may turn out to be a good night for everyone.

I suggest if you do so - on the walk back, have PL share his trip to Vegas and his meeting of Flopsie and Mopsie ... :p