Quote:
Originally posted by J Geoff:

I don't know much about Philly, or what else is good or not. Perhaps someone who lives near there could help us out a bit. *ahem* Isn't "Sugar Daddy" around there? *cough*
Yo Yo YO – is someone calling Sugar Daddy ?

Well since you asked ……

I have actually eaten at all the places you are discussing, Bookbinders, The Moshulu and Shula’s (although the Shula’s I was at was not the Phila one), and of course Pat’s. I have not been to the Moshulu in many years though – not since before the fire. Overall the meals are good there, nothing that different from a lot of other places though. And although, yes it was in the movie, really it was there because it was an old ship available for the filming – the restaurant component was not even a factor. In short you will get a good meal no matter which place you opt for, but Geoff was correct, most can visit a Shula’s in a lot places in the country – if you really want to dine in a place unique to Phila while you are there – you should go to either BookBinders or Moshulu. My recommendation for the environment, the ambience and the food is BookBinders - hands down. It is one of the best restaurants in Philadelphia, bar none. Plus if you happen to get a glimpse of any celebrities it will be here. But be aware – BookBinders can be pretty pricey, not a cheap night and most entries are a la carte (or were). To be honest though I was surprised to hear SCs post that it is now open – it closed years ago and not for renovations but the owners closed it. You may want to check to see how it compares to the original owners, be cautious someone didn’t just buy the name and location. I am curious about that now so I’ll look around and let you know if I hear anything on that. If you plan to eat at two of the places listed – all will be pretty pricey, so let everyone be aware of that, two nights out at any of the establishments and with the way that crew drinks on top it will not come cheap, so save your pennies now. One suggestion I will make to you, is that the Moshulu is on the waterfront – Penn’s Landing if you look it up. If you do go, make sure you make reservations and ask for the river view, although since the fire I think it may not matter anymore as the ship actually faces Penn’s Landing so either side, the tables face the water. Remember that Center City Phila and the Penn’s Landing area is directly across the river from Camden, NJ, so you will probably see the nightly lights. Quite a sight to see – and no it is not fireworks but the gunfire that usually erupts nightly in Camden. :rolleyes: Anyway, back to my point. The Penn’s Landing area is very nice – great place to walk and hang out. When I was a Little Daddy, many a night I spent there with my dates as I was looking to get a bit of ‘yum-yum’ if you know what I mean . But it is a very nice place and the Moshulu is within walking distance to Bookbinders (you might want to confirm that though). So it could be possible to have dinner at Bookbinders – skip desert though and walk to the Moshulu, get dessert and have some late night drinks. Afterwards you can walk through the Penn’s Landing area, who knows, maybe someone (coughPLcough) may be looking to get some yum-yum. If you are real adventurous, from Penn's Landing you can than swing by South Street – lot’s to hmm ‘see’ there. You know South Street - Meet me, on South Street, oh yeah, hurry on down -Come on now, meet me on South Street -The hippist street in town ....

My personal opinion – the place with the best food is Pat’s though. Not the healthiest and certainly not one to be visited by anyone with heart and cholesterol problem, but man are you gonna get yourself a treat. If in Phila – you need to get a Phila CheeseSteak and there is no place like Pat’s. Forget any cheesesteaks you may have gotten elsewhere - they do not make them like the do in Phila. The kind where the steak and the cheese and the spices and oils are running out of the roll – hmm, I need to get back down there. For those that like that kind of food – definitely, definitely, definitely get to Pat’s for lunch at least.

So just my 2c, hope it helps – if BookBinders is what it used to be, that should be your number 1 choice. Shula’s will probably give you a bit better meal than the Moshulu, but you can hit Shula’s through the country and the Shula’s in Phila is located in a hotel. It is not even a standalone restaurant, so to say. Hit the Moshulu for either dinner or drinks and enjoy the Penn’s Landing area. And not to complicate things but there is a fantastic Italian restrurant right up on Penn’s Landing – I cannot remember the name but wow – great food, and the rumor is that it is legitimately mobbed owned. When we were there last – the music was from The Godfather, which was kind of odd, but they know how to take care of their guests, absoutely fantastic food and service.

And lastely - there are a ton of things to do during the day. If you are in Phila, the birthplace of this nation, one of the oldest cities in the country and Mig wants to visit a prison - you really are a redneck. :p Please do NOT waste your time visiting some prison if you are in the heart of the city. Anything you want from culture - the Philadelphia Art Museum, to casual - the Zoo, to historical, Independance Hall, Betsy Rose House, Constitution Center etc - to educational - Academy of Natural Sciences, Franklin Institute , to shopping, to whatever - anything but visiting a prison. Enjoy what the town has to offer - it does not all need to revolve around mob and gangster stuff.

Hope that helps, I'm afraid I may have confused it more.