Quote:
Originally posted by Don Vercetti:
I'm probably alone here, but Sabrina is Wilder's worst film IMO, but still good. I love the scene where Hepburn returns from Paris and William Holden goes insane over her. :p
When I think about a word to define "Sabrina" the only one that comes to mind is DELIGHTFUL. I think "Sabrina" is in fact an absolutely delightful movie, the quintessential romantic comedy. I love every bit of it, from the beginning till the end. For example, the scene where all the house servants gather for reading Sabrina's letters from Paris. Or when she has a dog named "David", an absolutely irresistible detail, especially if you are a girl and ever experienced a love disappointment! The only puzzling thing is they casted Bogart for the part of Linus. I mean he was already too old for the part, nonetheless he was great as the icy old bachelor who unexpectedly found himself alive and in love with the most delightful girl ever seen on the screen.

I don't know why you think this is Wilder's worst movie, DV. Even if it may be a little too politically correct for today's standards, my opinion is we'll never have such a good, elegant, amusing, DELIGHTFUL romantic comedy again.

I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic. I try to give that to people. I do misrepresent things. I don't tell the truth. I tell what ought to be truth (Blanche/A streetcar named desire)