GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Lana, 1 invisible), 451 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,476
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,530
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,436
Posts1,060,963
Members10,349
Most Online992
Yesterday at 04:40 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Breaking News: SPJ Sandra Day O'Connor Retires #117762
07/06/05 05:12 PM
07/06/05 05:12 PM
Jimmy Buffer Offline
Underboss
Jimmy Buffer  Offline
Underboss
except they don't have joint custody. she has complete custody. he gets to see his daughter at most one weekend a month during the "school year" (he's a teacher) and in the summer time. so that doesn't sound like joint custody to me.

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Re: Breaking News: SPJ Sandra Day O'Connor Retires #117763
07/06/05 05:17 PM
07/06/05 05:17 PM
Jimmy Buffer Offline
Underboss
Jimmy Buffer  Offline
Underboss
like i said earlier, i agree that the vast majority of the time, the father is the deadbeat parent and it is tough for these single mothers to make a living and that might possibly be why they chose abortion. i could care less what they do, it's not my life. i just don't think its right that a mother can leave for any amount of time and still be the parent when a father cannot. what more rights can a mother have than taking the child away from the husband? should she also be allowed to cut off his genitals to deprive him of anymore children in addition to the one she's already depriving him of? i don't know much about this stuff so enlighten me what additional rights should the mother have that she already doesn't?

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Re: Breaking News: SPJ Sandra Day O'Connor Retires #117764
07/06/05 05:22 PM
07/06/05 05:22 PM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
I really wish the child would have a say.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Breaking News: SPJ Sandra Day O'Connor Retires #117765
07/06/05 05:32 PM
07/06/05 05:32 PM
Jimmy Buffer Offline
Underboss
Jimmy Buffer  Offline
Underboss
i wish that too, but you still haven't explained what more rights you want the mother to have. like i said, the mother is usually the one getting the short end of the stick in these single-parent scenarios. but in all those situations if the man decides to come back and wants to be the father that's too bad for him. he had his chance and he blew it. if the mother has been a deadbeat parent and wants to come back, then be my guest. don't worry about the father at all. he's only a nuisance. yes the mother gives birth to the baby, but it takes two to tango.

Re: Breaking News: SPJ Sandra Day O'Connor Retires #117766
07/06/05 05:45 PM
07/06/05 05:45 PM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Joint custody. The same goes for a runaway father, I mean it is alwasy nice to share the expenses.

Re: Breaking News: SPJ Sandra Day O'Connor Retires #117767
07/06/05 05:47 PM
07/06/05 05:47 PM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Once the child starts going to school though, he/she should be able to choose a parent over the other though, it is a pain to change schools all the time.

Re: Breaking News: SPJ Sandra Day O'Connor Retires #117768
07/06/05 05:59 PM
07/06/05 05:59 PM
Jimmy Buffer Offline
Underboss
Jimmy Buffer  Offline
Underboss
one of us is misunderstanding the other one. i'm not sure who. i think joint custody is a perfectly acceptable scenario. i just don't see how that is something that the mother doesn't already have. the mother is being generous if she agrees to joint custody. joint custody is a concession by the mother, not something she has to fight for. if she agrees to joint custody she was the one to compromise. i'm sorry if i misinterpreted your statements, but when you quoted my story and then wrote you think the mother should have more rights, i immediately wondered what more rights she could have had? she already completely took the child. there is no joint custody. what else should she have been able to do? i don't understand what you mean. if you think the child should be allowed to choose a parent because of the hassle and burden of switching schools then that's fine. that's your opinion and i don't have a problem with it. but the way you replied to my story made it seem like my brother should be lucky he got off so easy by just losing his daughter.

Re: Breaking News: SPJ Sandra Day O'Connor Retires #117769
07/06/05 06:08 PM
07/06/05 06:08 PM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Well, when I read your post I thought you suggested since the mother has left the child for three years she has no right taking care of this child anymore. I think since she's been having the baby she is entitled to have custody even after she left for three years, maybe she was not financially ready to take care of her child or whatever else I don't know. I don't think you can deprive either of parents anyway. That's what I meant.

This is the exact reason I'm pro choice. Having a child with someone you hate is a pain for the child in the first place and the parents later on.

Re: Breaking News: SPJ Sandra Day O'Connor Retires #117770
07/06/05 06:13 PM
07/06/05 06:13 PM
Jimmy Buffer Offline
Underboss
Jimmy Buffer  Offline
Underboss
well then we're both at fault. i misunderstood you and you misunderstood me. i apologize. i didn't mean to say she shouldn't still be allowed to be a parent to the child anymore. of course she should. i just posted this as a caution to sicilian babe, that although she has a very valid point, the male isn't without burden in parenting, and the legal system (whether fairly or unfairly is for each individual to decide) favors the mother no matter the circumstances, even when the father does step up and shoulder the responsibilities. although, it is often the mother who must do the shouldering, but that doesn't mean we should just umbrella the blame unto one party for every single scenario and assume that the mother has all the hardship and the father is off living a life of luxury just because that is often the case.

Re: Breaking News: SPJ Sandra Day O'Connor Retires #117771
07/06/05 06:20 PM
07/06/05 06:20 PM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
It is all right. I'm sorry too, this feminism side in me gets out of hand a lot!

Re: Breaking News: SPJ Sandra Day O'Connor Retires #117772
07/06/05 08:58 PM
07/06/05 08:58 PM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

Quote:
So may I assume that you're against the death penalty, then?

At last.....something that we can agree upon.
Mmm. Perhaps I should've specified; though I have frequently mentioned, I am against the murder of innocent lives. I am certainly not against capital punishment when it comes to convicted criminals.

Quote:
That was good. Very good.
Parrot? Or just waiting for someone like Plaw who actually has a clue for you?

Quote:
However, I know for a fact that she is not yet sexually active. I must say that I resent the implication.
I did not imply; in fact, my exact quote was:
Quote:
I'm not accusing you of either; I'm just saying that it is too often a policy of, "it won't be my kid."
Quote:
As for why I would not want my daughter or any other female to carry the product of rape, you obviously have no clue as to the physical and psychological ramifications of being the victim of such a crime. It is devastating, in every possible way.
Mmm. So the destruction of life, the murder of a child, is not more devastating? Certainly you must agree the finality between the aforementioned is much more decisive than the mental state of a rape victim. Again, we are going to argue semantics, I'm sure, so I will say again that rape is an abhorrent crime. But death is death. Your daughter, despite her traumatic experience, will live. I know that sounds cold and clinical, but it is the truth. Her baby, yes, HER baby, would be DEAD.

Quote:
And for you to suggest that the "origins" of the child have no bearing, then you truly don't understand the physical and mental torture that a woman experiences at the hands of a rapist.
Throughout history, innocent people have been killed because of their origins. The Jews. The Kurds. The Polish. And in every case, there was certainly no logical reason in order to erase these people, other than their origins. So I must ask again, how can you honestly condone murder because of origins? If that is true, then it is no better than the Pharisees who killed Christ (No, don't worry, no Hitler references. Though I'm sure I'll be accused at being an anti-Semite, now).

Quote:
so i don't really feel all that sorry for every single mother because even though a great majority of the time the father is the deadbeat, he does so by his own accord and is held accountable by possible loss of custody, parental right, etc. but the mother isn't held to these same standards.
Well, certainly there are deadbeat Dads, and we can't ignore that, it's fact. But you do bring an interesting point to light - the court preference for the rights of the woman over the parental rights of the father, which, aequitas verus, would be wholly equal. Unfortunately, as your example proves, there is a skew that significantly disadvantages legitimate fathers.

Quote:
It is ironic that those who stick with morals when it comes to abortion, consider having sex out of wedlock to be okay.
True. However, I in this case, don't think that either abortion or premarital sex are "right," but in reality, society has lost it's sense of morality.

Quote:
In any case, mother should have more rights, after all, she is the one who is having the child.
Mmm. So as I said before, it's 'ok' to blame the father when it comes time for child support payments, or who's "fault" it was that their daughter got pregnant; when it is convenient. But then, it takes a 180 turn, when it's not in the feminist favor. The man has just as much right to his child as the mother does. Because she is carrying it in her womb does not deny a father his parental rights; nor does it change the fact that he has as much responsibility.

Quote:
The only victim in the middle is the child.
Agreed. And in my opinion, infanticide should not be a fate suffered simply out of convenience for the parent(s).

Quote:
I don't see as the biological mother why she can't have the baby for the same amount of time or having a joint custody even after three years.
He did say that she was a drug addict and was not leading the healthiest lifestyle, at least in the case of promoting the well being of a child. So certainly, the court should take that into account when custody rights are brought up. If something did ever happen to the child, I wouldn't doubt that if the mother's negligence was responsible, the court could also be sued.

If the father was a drug-addict, or even the least bit a "undesirable," (which could represent a massive number of generalizations that imply negative connotations), it is all but guaranteed that he wouldn't see the child, ever.

Quote:
except they don't have joint custody. she has complete custody. he gets to see his daughter at most one weekend a month during the "school year" (he's a teacher) and in the summer time. so that doesn't sound like joint custody to me.
Which is wholly wrong. I am surprised that he was not able to make a case for himself in court? That he couldn't prove she was posing a danger to both herself and her child with her lifestyle?

Quote:
Once the child starts going to school though, he/she should be able to choose a parent over the other though, it is a pain to change schools all the time.
Though I'm sure that it would be possible for either parental lawyer to make a case that the child is too young to decide, and should stay in the present custody (in this case, the mother's).

Quote:
This is the exact reason I'm pro choice. Having a child with someone you hate is a pain for the child in the first place and the parents later on.
I can understand you don't want the child to suffer; but can you honestly tell me that murdering the child is a better solution than life?

Quote:
And how many deaths will it take till we know,
that too many people have died? The answer my friend is blowing in the wind, the answer is blowing in the wind.
- Bob Dylan
Regards,
Double-J

Re: Breaking News: SPJ Sandra Day O'Connor Retires #117773
07/07/05 02:21 AM
07/07/05 02:21 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Quote:
Originally posted by Double-J:
I can understand you don't want the child to suffer; but can you honestly tell me that murdering the child is a better solution than life?
Unless you want a parentless child up for adoption and then maybe after he/she by some miracle gets adopted see the biological mother and/or father claiming the child. Add two more people to that picture. Four people trying to tear a child apart and each has a right.

I'm all for adoption and I plan to do so but one thing that's important to me is that I should make sure the biological mother and father are dead. When biological parents are so irresponsible for the future of that baby he/she might end up in the wrong way, if not dead one way or another.

And bottom line is, if a woman wants abortion she is going to have one just the same as she did have sex irresponsibly. I can't go and preach to people they shouldn't have sex before marriage or they shouldn't get an abortion.

Re: Breaking News: SPJ Sandra Day O'Connor Retires #117774
07/07/05 09:31 AM
07/07/05 09:31 AM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

Quote:
Originally posted by afsaneh77:
Unless you want a parentless child up for adoption and then maybe after he/she by some miracle gets adopted see the biological mother and/or father claiming the child. Add two more people to that picture. Four people trying to tear a child apart and each has a right.
"Miracle?" There are parents desperate everywhere to adopt because they cannot have children themselves. People resort to illegally adopting children because they can't get it done through the standard system.

Quote:
I can't go and preach to people they shouldn't have sex before marriage or they shouldn't get an abortion.
You can certainly have an opinion. If everyone in the world sat back and watched atrocities happen, and just said, "I can't go preach," we'd likely still be living in the stone age. As humans, as a race of peoples, we have the right, the need, the requirement, to do all that is possible to preserve the sanctity of innocent life; I cannot see how speaking out against infanticide is not "right." People who are in favor of murder do it all the time, claiming it to be "women's rights."

Re: Breaking News: SPJ Sandra Day O'Connor Retires #117775
07/07/05 01:24 PM
07/07/05 01:24 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
JJ, You still have no clue. You are speaking from a male's viewpoint and have no idea what it is like to feel the pain, helplessness, shame, humiliation and complete and total violation that comes with being raped. To suggest that a woman "will get over it", that it's only temporary, further proves that you have no understanding. And to suggest that a woman carry her rapist's child for nine months, go through the agony of childbirth only to give it away, you really are ignorant in this area. It seems that we can argue this point forever and never agree, so let's leave it alone.

Jimmy, I agree with you completely. If a couple agrees to bring a child into this world, then both parents have a huge responsibility. If one of them is delinquent, the child should stay with the parent who can give them a better life. It shouldn't matter if it's the mother or father, it should be the parent who will provide the more stable and nurturing environment.

Plaw, glad to hear that you're willing to make an exception for me .

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Breaking News: SPJ Sandra Day O'Connor Retires #117776
07/07/05 03:43 PM
07/07/05 03:43 PM
New York
raggingbull2003 Offline
Underboss
raggingbull2003  Offline
Underboss
New York
Quote:
Originally posted by Sicilian Babe:
JJ, You still have no clue. You are speaking from a male's viewpoint and have no idea what it is like to feel the pain, helplessness, shame, humiliation and complete and total violation that comes with being raped. To suggest that a woman "will get over it", that it's only temporary, further proves that you have no understanding. And to suggest that a woman carry her rapist's child for nine months, go through the agony of childbirth only to give it away, you really are ignorant [b]in this area. It seems that we can argue this point forever and never agree, so let's leave it alone. [/b]
Yes rape is an incredibly horrible thing, and if it results in pregnancy then I cant even begin to imagine how hard it is on the woman. But as horrible as it is, you have to understand that if you abort that baby, then you are taking away the only life it will ever have. In my opinion abortion is worse than murder. In abortion, you are never even giving the child an oppurtunity to experience life. Im not a very emotional person, but when I think of that simple fact and realize how many lives have been cut short, it actually makes me cry... No joke.

Being a man, I cant imagine how hard pregnancy is and I am probably coming off as ignorant and narrow minded when I condemn aborting products of rape. But is it really fair to that child? Is it fair to deny him his or her life because of the way it was concieved? If it were me, I would not want the child either, but I would at least give it up for adoption. Being raped is the worst kind of wrong, but that doesnt make it right to retaliate by doing something equally wrong.

"You can shear a sheep many times, but you can skin him only once."
-Amarillo Slim
Re: Breaking News: SPJ Sandra Day O'Connor Retires #117777
07/07/05 04:02 PM
07/07/05 04:02 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Quote:
Originally posted by raggingbull2003:
In my opinion abortion is worse than murder. In abortion, you are never even giving the child an oppurtunity to experience life.
So the "life" of an unborn "child" is more valuable than that of a living person, a person who may be a doctor or a scientist or a teacher, making a valuable contribution to society.....a person who has loved ones, and people who may depend on them and be devastated if they were murdered.

A "life unexperienced" is more valuable than a person who is already living?

And olease don't tell me that "at least that person who has lived life already has had a life, while the unborn "child" hasn't.

By your logic, the baby should be saved at the expense of the life of the mother.

Quite honestly, I don't see how you can compare the two and say abortion is worse than murder.

Aren't all innocent lives worth at least the same thing?

And how about the effect of the abortion on others, presumably none of whom would care about the baby, vs. the effect on others over the loss of a husband, father, wife, mother, sister, brother......

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Breaking News: SPJ Sandra Day O'Connor Retires #117778
07/07/05 04:18 PM
07/07/05 04:18 PM
New York
raggingbull2003 Offline
Underboss
raggingbull2003  Offline
Underboss
New York
When did I ever refer to the life of the woman? I never said that the life of the woman was more valuable then that of the unborn child and I dont get why we need to discuss the life of the woman vs. the life of the child. I assume that you are talking about women who die during childbirth. Women also die during abortion and yes that is a very rare thing, but so is when women die during labor.

A woman can carry an unwanted child and still have her life. No decesion should ever involve death being a sure thing.

"You can shear a sheep many times, but you can skin him only once."
-Amarillo Slim
Re: Breaking News: SPJ Sandra Day O'Connor Retires #117779
07/07/05 04:41 PM
07/07/05 04:41 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Bull, you seem to speak with great passion and emotion, so I appreciate your thoughts. However, I can't imagine being forced to carry the child of my rapist. I can't imagine experiencing the horror and then being forced to feel HIS seed growing inside of me for nine long months, only to have to go through hours of agonizing pain and then give it away to be raised by strangers. I can imagine that as one of my very worst nightmares. One of the very, very worst.

As a man, you obviously can't imagine what it's like. There are few who epitomize the word victim like a rape survivor. The terror and shame, aside from the physical pain, are crippling. I can't imagine being forced by law to carry a child that might result from that hateful act. If there are some women who would want to keep such a child, God bless them. But I can't imagine some law that says that I have NO CHOICE.

The other thing that frightens me is the fact that, even if a new law made an exception for rape victims, it is often a crime that is difficult to prove. What about those women? The women that experience date rape, as is so prevalent on today's college campuses?

This is a crime that few men can relate to, and even if a male does experience the devastation of rape, there still can be no resulting pregnancy. I think that Roe v. Wade is a law that must continue in place.

Re: Breaking News: SPJ Sandra Day O'Connor Retires #117780
07/07/05 04:52 PM
07/07/05 04:52 PM
The Slippery Slope
plawrence Offline
RIP StatMan
plawrence  Offline
RIP StatMan
The Slippery Slope
Quote:
Originally posted by raggingbull2003:
When did I ever refer to the life of the woman? I never said that the life of the woman was more valuable then that of the unborn child
I assume you mean that the life of the woman was less valuable then that of the unborn child.

If that's the case, let me see if I have this straight. (You pro-lifers can confuse me sometimes with the fine lines you draw between when murder is OK and when it isn't, and when the life of the unborn "child" is more important and when it isn't).

You would save the life of the mother at the expense of the unborn child, but

You would rather see someone murdered than have an unborn child aborted.

See, that's what I don't understand.

If murder is worse than abortion, why is saving the mother more important than not having an abortion.

In either case, it's the life of the unborn child, or the life of a person who already had been born.

What's the difference between the worth of the mother's life and any murder victim's life.

Why is the mother's life more valuable?

I mean, I can understand why you are against abortion: You consider the fetus to be a living person, and abortion to be murder.

That's fine, and I understand your postion.

What I don't understand is how abortion is worse than murder, but saving the mother's life (If that's your position on that. I'm still not sure because of what I quoted of yours above) isn't worse than abortion.

"Difficult....not impossible"
Re: Breaking News: SPJ Sandra Day O'Connor Retires #117781
07/07/05 05:11 PM
07/07/05 05:11 PM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Quote:
"Miracle?" There are parents desperate everywhere to adopt because they cannot have children themselves. People resort to illegally adopting children because they can't get it done through the standard system.
That's because there is child molesting, murdering children to get their body parts, etc. Laws for adoption are fine the way they are, if someone is going to adopt; they should be qualified in everything there is needed to raise a child because we don't want to see an unfortunate kid come out of a hole and fall into a deeper one. I can't do anything about what happens illegally but I like to see what's being done legally is not going to endanger future of the children.

Quote:

If everyone in the world sat back and watched atrocities happen, and just said, "I can't go preach," we'd likely still be living in the stone age. As humans, as a race of peoples, we have the right, the need, the requirement, to do all that is possible to preserve the sanctity of innocent life; I cannot see how speaking out against infanticide is not "right." People who are in favor of murder do it all the time, claiming it to be "women's rights."
I don't see how you are going to do your "right" thing. If there are absolutely no legal ways for this matter women would resort to illegal ways. It is ironic that you talk about stone ages because in order to make sure a woman is not going to have an abortion is to keep her tied up for nine months.

SB, there are medications for preventing a pregnancy a few hours after an unwanted sex. I think clinics should start educating women for what they can do to prevent geting pregnant in such cases.

Re: Breaking News: SPJ Sandra Day O'Connor Retires #117782
07/07/05 05:25 PM
07/07/05 05:25 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Af, that medication is a big deal here in NY right now. There has been a recent bill passed that would allow women to buy it over the counter in a drug store. I don't believe that the governor has signed the law yet, and there was some doubt if he would, or if it would be deemed too controversial.

What frightens me in reading some of these posts is the complete and utter disregard for women, as if we were just some vessel designed to carry on the human race. We should be forced to carry and deliver the products of rape or molestation?? What if it was an 11 or 12 year old girl that had been molested? She might be capable of bearing children. Should she be forced to carry the product of her rape? What if Shasta Groene were a few years older, and Mr. Duncan had made her pregnant during the six weeks he held her? He murdered her mother, mother's boyfriend and one of her siblings, and then repeatedly molested her and her brother, killing the brother. In your logic, if she were to become pregnant, she should be forced to carry that child and then give it up. What if Elizabeth Smart, who was older, had become pregnant by the man who kidnapped her from her bed, and raped her for months? Should a child be forced to carry a child?

And where do you draw the line? Is birth control abortion? According to the Catholic Church, using birth control is a sin because it halts creation. Is it the "murder of unborn children"? Where does it end?

Re: Breaking News: SPJ Sandra Day O'Connor Retires #117783
07/07/05 05:56 PM
07/07/05 05:56 PM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
SB, It is really degenerating for women to be forced to carry an unwanted child, let alone the product of rape. It is disgusts me how can some people be so ignorant not to think it over what a woman might go through in such cases.

And that's true that religions would not let followers to even use birth control, sex out of wedlock, abortion, etc. But we also must not turn our brains off totally to the ways that's been practiced in stone ages, which might have been good for those times. Right now Earth is over populated. I think right now not using birth control is a sin. Human is given brain. It is good that he/she uses it sometimes.

And regarding the medications, isn't birth control pills being sold over the counter over there? We can get it here even in some areas free of charge in family planning clinics. The easiest way is to use those simple birth control pills, but the dosage is different.

Re: Breaking News: SPJ Sandra Day O'Connor Retires #117784
07/07/05 06:45 PM
07/07/05 06:45 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
No, Afi, you cannot get birth control pills over the counter. You must have a prescription. Because of the potential side effects, you really should be closely monitored by a doctor if you take them. That's why most doctors will only give you six months' worth, so that you have to go back to see them to get your new prescription.

Re: Breaking News: SPJ Sandra Day O'Connor Retires #117785
07/07/05 07:12 PM
07/07/05 07:12 PM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
They include a brochure along with pills and briefly tell you to stop using it if you have any of mentioned symptoms. But you don't need to see a doctor or a prescription for that over here. Here is a link I found for Plan B. I think it is for best to have these pills handy in any case.

Plan B

Re: Breaking News: SPJ Sandra Day O'Connor Retires #117786
07/19/05 09:53 PM
07/19/05 09:53 PM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

Wow, I've missed so much since I left on my vacation. Oh well.

Quote:
WASHINGTON — President Bush has picked Judge John G. Roberts Jr. (search) to replace retiring Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor (search).

Roberts, 50, is a conservative who currently sits on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. A former clerk to Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist, his name has been floated for months as a possible Bush selection for the high court.

Bush announced the nomination to the American public at 9 p.m. EDT — with Roberts appearing alongside the president.

"The decisions of the Supreme Court affect the life of every American. And so a nominee to that court must be a person of superb credentials and the highest integrity, a person who will faithfully apply the Constitution and keep our founding promise of equal justice under law," Bush said.

"I have found such a person in Judge John Roberts. And tonight I am honored to announce that I am nominating him to serve as associate justice of the Supreme Court."

Stuart Taylor, a senior writer and columnist for National Journal, said Roberts was only on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit for two years, but he is well-qualified for the job.

"He doesn't have an extensive record there. But he is very well-qualified. He had a reputation of being one of the best, if not the best, appellate litigator in the country. Conservatives are very comfortable with him. They think he is one of them, but he'd be easier to confirm ... because he doesn't have a controversial paper trail and he has a lot of friends across the political spectrum," Taylor told FOX News.

Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas., said that the president had done his job by selecting Roberts and he had made the right decision.

"Judge Roberts is an exceptional judge, brilliant legal mind, and a man of outstanding character who understands his profound duty to follow the law. He has enjoyed a distinguished history of public service and professional achievement. It is clear to me that Judge Robert's history has prepared him well for the honor of serving this country on our nation's highest court, and I strongly support his nomination," Cornyn said.

Experience at the Court

Roberts is no stranger to the Supreme Court. He served as a law clerk to Rehnquist and was the deputy solicitor general during the presidency of President George H.W. Bush, where he argued cases in front of the court. He also served an associate counsel to President Reagan during Reagan's first term.

Bush nominated Roberts to D.C. Circuit Court on Jan. 7, 2003. He was confirmed four months later. During his confirmation hearing to the appeals court, Roberts told the Senate Judiciary Committee that Roe v. Wade is "the settled law of the land.

"There's nothing in my personal views that would prevent me from fully and faithfully applying that precedent," Roberts told the panel.

A Successful Head Fake

Roberts' nomination comes as a surprise after an all-day festival of speculation in Washington and on the cable news networks, where the race was handicapped in favor of 5th Circuit Court of Appeals Judge Edith "Joy" Clement. Clement was seen as an uncontroversial, moderate jurist who would likely be passed through Congress without an enormous fight.

But as evening approached, Clement herself told a network news broadcast that she had not been selected. That led to speculation that Bush would go with a more conservative nominee, one who would please his ardent supporters.

Earlier in the day, Bush was cagey about whether he'd name his pick on Tuesday.

"I do have an obligation to think about people from different backgrounds, but who share the same philosophy, people who will not legislate from the bench," Bush said when asked by reporters Tuesday during a joint press conference with Australian Prime Minister John Howard. "I'll let you know when I'm ready to tell you who it is ... I'm confident about where we are in the process."

Two Republican sources very close to the Supreme Court nomination process told FOX News that the groundwork had been laid for a public disclosure, but the timing of the announcement was up to Bush.

Earlier on Tuesday, FOX News learned that Clement was interviewed by Vice President Dick Cheney, a possible sign that she was the choice for the high court. Activists had already prepared a video testimonial from long-time lawyer friends of Clement.

White House officials have refused to discuss the names of top prospects being considered to replace retiring O'Connor, who was the first woman on the court.

Interest groups say another female candidate thought to be under consideration was Edith Hollan Jones (search), who also serves on the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans and is considered a favorite of the Christian right.

Clement, who is believed to be less ideological than Jones, was among nearly a dozen judges Bush nominated to the bench in May of 2001, and her confirmation was relatively speedy. A Jones nomination would likely have led to a fight with many Democrats, who claimed that Bush has nominated too many judges who they consider to be out of America's mainstream.

Other names thought to be under consideration were: Maura Corrigan, a judge on the Michigan Supreme Court; Cecilia M. Altonaga, a U.S. District Court judge for the Southern District of Florida; Mary Ann Glendon, a Harvard Law School professor; Karen Williams from the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond, Va.; Janice Rogers Brown, recently confirmed by the Senate for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit; and Priscilla Owen, who was just confirmed for a seat on the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

Other possible candidates were conservative federal appellate court judges Samuel Alito, J. Michael Luttig, Michael McConnell, John Roberts Jr., Emilio Garza and J. Harvie Wilkinson III; and former deputy attorney general Larry Thompson.

Bush Poring Over 'Curriculum Vitae'

Regardless of the many names floated throughout the day, one certainty was that the nominee was going to be conservative.

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., one of the so-called "Gang of 14" senators who crafted an agreement that called for the use of a judicial filibuster only in "extraordinary circumstances," said the president was in a good position to send a conservative judge to the Senate for confirmation.

Democrats expect a conservative to be named, Graham explained, and Bush campaigned on that promise in 2004.

Graham noted that simply being conservative was "no longer an extraordinary circumstance" as defined by the "Gang of 14" agreement.

"President Bush campaigned he would pick a solid conservative, I expect for him to live up to his promise. Our goal is to make sure a solid conservative sits on the Supreme Court that is not beholden to any special interest group," Graham said.

Judiciary Committee Chairman Arlen Specter (search), R-Pa., was called to the White House on Monday. Specter, who would lead the confirmation process in the Senate, has said he hoped Bush would select a jurist who will bring "balance" to the court.

Roberts got the final invitation from the president after Bush had lunch with Australian Prime Minister John Howard. Later, the president called Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, Minority Leader Harry Reid, Specter and Ranking Democrat on the Judiciary Committee Patrick Leahy to tell them that Roberts was the nominee for O'Connor's seat.

Cornyn said now that the president had made his choice for the Senate to confirm, "the nominations process should reflect the best of the American judiciary — not the worst of American politics."

Confirmation hearings could begin in September, after Congress returns from its traditional August recess.
Sounds good to me. Although the democrats like Schumer are already warming up for a good fight. He's from Buffalo, which is also pretty sweet.

Re: Breaking News: SPJ Sandra Day O'Connor Retires #117787
07/19/05 10:22 PM
07/19/05 10:22 PM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

Quote:
JJ, You still have no clue.
Yes, I have Clue, Scrabble, even Monopoly! Quite fun!

Quote:
You are speaking from a male's viewpoint and have no idea what it is like to feel the pain, helplessness, shame, humiliation and complete and total violation that comes with being raped.
So you're saying a man can't be raped?

And forgive me for thinking that, while rape is a terrible and heinous crime (which I have said many time over in this thread), murder, the extinguishing of life, of a human being, a sentient creature, would probably take precedent as the more painful, helplessness, and violation, since you're destroying an innocent, defenseless person.

Quote:
To suggest that a woman "will get over it", that it's only temporary, further proves that you have no understanding.
I never said she will "get over it," I said:

Quote:
death is death. Your daughter, despite her traumatic experience, will live. I know that sounds cold and clinical, but it is the truth. Her baby, yes, HER baby, would be DEAD.
Which is true.

Quote:
And to suggest that a woman carry her rapist's child for nine months
Conveniently, we are forgetting that 1/2 of the genetic code composing said child is hers. So I suppose an abortion of a rapists child would be like killing your bastard son, because, after all, he's unwanted.

Quote:
You would save the life of the mother at the expense of the unborn child, but

You would rather see someone murdered than have an unborn child aborted.
Let's clarify, at least my standpoint. If there was some kind of critical situation that placed both the mother and child in severe danger, that would be the only case where I believe abortion could be considered. And even then, it's not sitting with me particularly well. However, as I said, that would be the only case, and the last possible scenario.

The second point, seeing someone murdered than having a child aborted - to what are we referring here? The Death Penalty v. Abortion? I'd appreciate it if you'd clarify for me, Plaw.

Quote:
What I don't understand is how abortion is worse than murder, but saving the mother's life (If that's your position on that. I'm still not sure because of what I quoted of yours above) isn't worse than abortion.
I consider abortion to be murder. Infanticide, specifically. However, like I said a few sentences ago, abortion should be the last possibility explored (if it should even be considered a possibility) when it comes to both the health and safety of mother and child. The further advanced medical science becomes, the better prenatal and neonatal care can be administered that will hopefully preserve the life of both mother and child. By that same token however, I'm sure there are many "doctors" out there perfecting new and more simple ways to commit abortions, rationalizing the death with ease of operation.

Quote:
they should be qualified in everything there is needed to raise a child because we don't want to see an unfortunate kid come out of a hole and fall into a deeper one.
True. But there are people who are stable, loving parents who are denied adoptions, and others who continue to garner more and more children despite not being finacially or domestically stable.

Quote:
If there are absolutely no legal ways for this matter women would resort to illegal ways.
So we should just legalize murder then, right? And rape? Sounds like a good plan. After all, people are currently doing all that illegally now.

Quote:
It is ironic that you talk about stone ages because in order to make sure a woman is not going to have an abortion is to keep her tied up for nine months.
If that isn't narrow minded thinking, I don't know what is. So we should advocate murder simply because we can't "stop" a woman from killing her child? It's inconceivable.

Quote:
SB, there are medications for preventing a pregnancy a few hours after an unwanted sex. I think clinics should start educating women for what they can do to prevent geting pregnant in such cases.
1.) People should use condoms, pills, etc, if they are sexually active.
2.) People who neglect to use them, should know better. And just because they are careless doesn't mean their child should die. Responsibility is often neglected on both parents.
3.) The problem with these medicines is that if conception has occurred, it can cause severe damage to the child.

Quote:
What frightens me in reading some of these posts is the complete and utter disregard for women, as if we were just some vessel designed to carry on the human race.
It frightens me here that we are ignoring the fact that millions upon millions of children are killed every year simply out of convenience, and people have the gall to talk about disregard for women. As aforementioned, I find it interesting that the man is conveniently left out of the equation (at least in this thread) until a.) child support or b.) "blame" is to be handed out.

Quote:
We should be forced to carry and deliver the products of rape or molestation??
You should be allowed to kill your own child???

Quote:
What if it was an 11 or 12 year old girl that had been molested? She might be capable of bearing children. Should she be forced to carry the product of her rape? What if Shasta Groene were a few years older, and Mr. Duncan had made her pregnant during the six weeks he held her? He murdered her mother, mother's boyfriend and one of her siblings, and then repeatedly molested her and her brother, killing the brother. In your logic, if she were to become pregnant, she should be forced to carry that child and then give it up. What if Elizabeth Smart, who was older, had become pregnant by the man who kidnapped her from her bed, and raped her for months? Should a child be forced to carry a child?
First of all, again, we are rationalizing murder. These abhorrent acts you have mentioned are all reprehensible.

However, one evil deed does not make right another. Killing a child simply brings more tragedy to an already tragic situation.

Quote:
And where do you draw the line? Is birth control abortion? According to the Catholic Church, using birth control is a sin because it halts creation. Is it the "murder of unborn children"? Where does it end?
The Catholic Church does not support abortion because it impedes the natural process of conception. Clearly, in 2005, it is hard to make a case against the use of birth control, and since I go against the church, at least for it's general use, I will not try to debate it.

However, a point must be made that when considering conventional methods of birth control (abstinence, condoms, pills, creams, foams, diaphragms, etc.), abortion should not be one of them. Infanticide is not a rightoues end for a lack of responsibility or rape, or any other means.

Quote:
It is really degenerating for women to be forced to carry an unwanted child, let alone the product of rape. It is disgusts me how can some people be so ignorant not to think it over what a woman might go through in such cases.
It's really disgusting to me that women, feminists in particular, are so selfish that they neglect to consider that they are carrying a person in their womb, rather than the "demon seed," which, coincidentally, is (as aforementioned) 50% theirs. It's sheer ignorance that abortion can be rationalized as is in this thread and across America.

Quote:
Human is given brain. It is good that he/she uses it sometimes.
I concur.

Re: Breaking News: SPJ Sandra Day O'Connor Retires #117788
07/19/05 10:38 PM
07/19/05 10:38 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
JJ - First of all, I have no idea why you resurrected this thread. It was long over. As I said in an earlier post, you have your view and I have mine. Let's just agree to disagree.

Re: Breaking News: SPJ Sandra Day O'Connor Retires #117789
07/19/05 10:46 PM
07/19/05 10:46 PM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

Quote:
JJ - First of all, I have no idea why you resurrected this thread. It was long over. As I said in an earlier post, you have your view and I have mine. Let's just agree to disagree.
1.) If you read the first of my two posts, it's directly related to this thread. A new supreme court justice has been nominated.

2.) It might have been long over, but I went on vacation for a week, so I've missed much. And I can't pass up a good scrap with the BB liberals.

3.) If we all agreed to disagree, this forum would get pretty boring. I mean, I know I'm always right, but please...(j/k) :p

Re: Breaking News: SPJ Sandra Day O'Connor Retires #117790
07/19/05 10:55 PM
07/19/05 10:55 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I can understand why you posted the update about the confirmation proceedings, but why go back and start quoting from old posts? Been there, done that, let's not beat a dead horse.

You're always going to believe one thing, and I, in my infinite wisdom, will believe the only thing that rational, thinking humans possibly could believe.

And, FYI, my former boss, who was a registered democrat and quite liberal in her thinking, considered me to be a conservative.

Re: Breaking News: SPJ Sandra Day O'Connor Retires #117791
07/19/05 11:04 PM
07/19/05 11:04 PM
D
Double-J Offline OP
Double-J  Offline OP
D

Quote:
I can understand why you posted the update about the confirmation proceedings, but why go back and start quoting from old posts? Been there, done that, let's not beat a dead horse.
Oh, lets. By all means. It's not as though I'm pulling out a year-old thread for revival, it's only on page 2 of the forum list.

Quote:
You're always going to believe one thing, and I, in my infinite wisdom, will believe the only thing that rational, thinking humans possibly could believe.
No wonder democrats are the minority.

Quote:
And, FYI, my former boss, who was a registered democrat and quite liberal in her thinking, considered me to be a conservative.
It just goes to show how much dissension there is in the democratic ranks. :p

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull