Hiya Don C Hmm... I don't know about the law but I am aware that the English flag (white with a red cross, as opposed to the Union Jack) has recently become somewhat a symbol for unsavoury nationalism. In areas of racial tension (between whites and asians) the white people have taken on the English flag as a symbol of purism, using it to taunt the asians and make a statement about what it means to be British :rolleyes: So as a result, this symbol of St George now carries a mixed message. When I see it flying, I cringe.
Under normal circumstances, although I'm not particularly patriotic, I would like to see our flag flying. I like to see the Union Jack on Buckingham Palace and other monuments. However, I could also quite happily burn the flag of St George in protest against its misuse. It is the misuse I'd be attacking, not the symbol itself. And holding the icon dearer than the principle it represents, seems to me to be a mix up in priorities

Somebody genuinely burning the Union Jack out of a hatred for Britain... as I said above, it depends who's doing it and why.
If it's some idiot trying to be offensive and different because the only way they can distinguish themselves is by being anti-social... Well yes, that is downright offensive. If it's a member of the IRA protesting against the monarchy... It hurts but it's their right and I'd rather they set fire to some cloth than blow up civilians.
If it's a refugee protesting about the way they've been screwed over by our fascist immigration policy, then power to them

Senator, we are both part of the same hypocrisy