[QUOTE]Originally posted by Guineapig:
[QB] My time here is limited, so I'll attempt to reply with that in mind:

dontomasso - your reasoning is contradictory, at best. If you do truly believe the American flag stand for freedom, burning it would symbolize a burning of freedom, anyway. Icons are symbols, because there is no way to physically attack an abstract concept such as freedom.

My point is the flag is a symbol. To me it represents freedom, which cannot be burned. It may represent something entirely different to a member of Al Qaeda or whatever. My point is that once you go down the road of banning expression, it is a slippery slope and is actually more destructive of freedom than is the act of some idiot burning the American flag.

As for the pledge of Allegiannce, I personally think it is hogwash. I have no allegiance to "the flag." The first flag to which I pledged "allegiance" had 48 stars. Then it had 49, and now it has 50. Have I changed allegiances? No we just changed flags!

If our free cpountry is so fragile that our freedom is at stake because some one wants to burn a flag in protest, then it is not worth saving.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."