Quote:
Originally posted by plawrence:
According to the way the New Jersey State Liquor Authority operates, a municipality may only have a certain number of bar and restaurant liquor licenses based on the population of that town.

So if someone opens a restaurant, the only way they can obtain a license is by buying an existing one, since there is a waiting list for restaurants waiting to obtain one from the state when and if the town's population grows.

But although BYO places lose revenue because they can't sell liquor, I believe that in some cases the BYO policy brings in more business for them and more than makes up for it.

I am a big wine drinker and, all things being equal, I would much rather bring a $10-15 bottle from home than pay $30-50 for the same wine in the restaurant.
Wow, that's news to me. I don't think any such laws exist here. Just up the road from me is a little town that apparantly has the most pubs per population in the whole country. But I've never checked.

I actually drink a lot of wine too. Roughly four bottles a week (although never when I'm out, I'd get stabbed). But I don't understand how any restaurant can survive with a BYOB policy. The wine and drinks are usually where the largest mark up of profit comes in. Maybe I go to more down market places, I am white trash, but this is weird to me.

Quote:
Originally posted by Family Honour:
By the way, that BYOB thing, we have here too, infact at my local restaurant they have no alcohol licence but, they charge you £5 'corkage charge' in other words thats what they charge to open the bottles for us I'm gonna send the boys round

FH
Really? I thought this was only exclusive to our American cousins. And a corkage charge too?

So die all who betray Giuliano