BOY KILLS WORLD

Bill Skarsgård stars as Boy, a deaf mute who watched his mother gunned down before his young eyes and was then separated from his younger sister during the annual Culling ceremony (yearly public executions). Knowing nothing but hate and wishing revenge against this totalitarian government led by Hilda Van Der Koy (Famke Janssen), he's trained in the jungle by the Shaman (Yayan Ruhian). Skarsgård does a phenomenal job getting himself into camera shape, as does Jessica Rothe who plays June27, Hilda's main bodyguard. Brett Gelman always brings his much appreciated levity to any scene he's in as Gideon Van Der Koy, brother of Hilda. H. Jon Benjamin is also enjoyable too as the Boys internal voice (other cuts are rumored to have featured Skarsgård's own voice as the Boy so I'm not quite sure why there's 2 different versions with 2 different narrators)? Other than that, there's some humor, decent action sequences, but overall, nothing that excited me too much unfortunately, which is a shame as I had some excitement going into this. The film unfortunately didn't find much footing at the box office but I can pretty easily see this becoming a cult classic. 6/10