GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 517 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,982
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,710
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,550
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,499
Posts1,062,033
Members10,349
Most Online1,100
Jun 10th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
WAR? JOE PROFACI vs. JOE BONANNO #1090590
05/22/24 06:44 AM
05/22/24 06:44 AM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

JOE PROFACI vs. JOE BONANNO

They were the very best of “amici” and “compare.” Both men were born on the island of Sicily, not far from one another, in the little towns of Villabate and Castellammare del Golfo, respectively.

Accepted into “The Brotherhood” at a very young age because of their blood lineage to Mafia-oriented families, both were initiated as “made” members while still young men.

Upon immigrating to the United States, both Joes, as newly-minted soldiers were immediately recognized as up-and-coming mafiosi from “respected” Cosa Nostra bloodlines. This enabled Profaci and Bonanno to quickly rise up into positions of power within New York’s underworld, and, by extension, within the historic Sicilian criminal network operating throughout the country.

By the early 1930s both men had risen to become two of the five most important and powerful bosses in New York City, with each man heading their own Brooklyn-based Family.

And notwithstanding the fact that by the early 1960s Joe Profaci faced an insurrection from a rebel faction within his borgata, and died several years later, in 1962. And several years after that, Joe Bonanno faced his own internal Family insurrection from disgruntled factions, which eventually led to Bonanno’s expulsion from Cosa Nostra itself, during their respective heydays, both men were iconic figures within that world.

Both became multimillionaires of almost incalculable wealth from a vast array of rackets as well as a myriad of legitimate businesses they expanded into. For over thirty-plus years, since 1931, both men sat on the Mafia’s infamous ruling Commission. Both were highly respected and feared Capo Famiglia. And both were ”originals” as founding members who are credited with having set the first building blocks in place for what was to come….the development of the most powerful secret criminal organization the world has ever known….Cosa Nostra!

AND NOW, THE SIXTY-FOUR QUESTION….(MAKE THAT TWO, SIXTY-FOUR DOLLAR QUESTIONS)….

1. Of these two Mafia powerhouses, which man, in your personal opinion, at the height of their respective power, ranked higher?

2. And even though they were the very best of friends…for the sake of discussion, if there had ever been a battle or wits and muscle between the two Joes, which one wins in the end?

A) Giuseppe “Joe” Profaci

B) Giuseppe “Joe” Bonanno

Last edited by NYMafia; 05/22/24 07:34 AM.
Re: WAR? JOE PROFACI vs. JOE BONANNO [Re: NYMafia] #1090651
05/22/24 11:24 PM
05/22/24 11:24 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
1. Profaci had immense personal wealth and property, much of it from legitimate businesses. But Bonanno had a bigger borgata, and had ties and alliances to families and rackets in Canada and Sicily. So I think Bonanno was the stronger of the two. As for "ranked higher": If you believe Bonanno's autobiography, "A Man of Honor" [sic], he was the most respected and influential member of the Commission, and was the prime mover of the self-named "Pax Bonanno."
2. I don't think a war between the two families would ever happen because both men had fatal leadership flaws that would have made their troops reluctant to fight for them. Profaci was greedy, squeezed his men unmercifully."Follow the money" trumps "loyalty" and "honor." Also, he was humiliated by the Gallos when they kidnapped almost his entire hierarchy, narrowly missing him, and he had to appeal to the Commission to free the hostages. That's when Gambino began "suggesting" that Profaci step down, but he stayed on with Bonanno's help. But Bonanno caused deep rifts in his family when he pushed to make his son, Salvatore (Bill) his successor. And, after the Commission expelled him following the failed plot against Lucchese and Gambino, he went into hiding--and about half his family defected to Gaspar DiGregorio, the Commission-appointed new boss. How many in either family would have been willing to risk their lives to save their bosses?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: WAR? JOE PROFACI vs. JOE BONANNO [Re: NYMafia] #1090662
05/23/24 05:35 AM
05/23/24 05:35 AM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

I think your assessment of these two men, and that of the borgatas they headed is pretty much on point, and we are in agreement on most points.

I would add that although Profaci was more understated and shadowy than Bonanno, Profaci also had many ties back to his hometown in Sicily and also "imported" men from there to augment his Brooklyn-based family over the years. (although, admittedly, not at the same volume as Bonanno.)

Profaci also had very close ties and alliances to other families as well, most notably those of the Tampa, San Jose, Providence, and Detroit Families (the last of which his blood family intermarried with.) On that note, Bonanno and Profaci were also related through marriage (Bill Bonanno marrying Rosalie Profaci -- Joe's brother Sal's daughter.)

If memory serves me, Profaci also represented several of these Families at Commission meetings.
-
As far as them ever going to war with each other, I agree. But, not because of the reason you mentioned, that their troops wouldn't have backed them. To the contrary, at the height of their respective power, in my opinion, the rank-n-file of both borgatas was staunchly behind their leadership and family administration.

It was not until the start of the early-1960s, that we start to see fraying around the edges of their leadership qualities (and their flaws.) But for thirty years previous to their troubles, (from 1931-1961) the Profaci Family ran an almost seamless network, and the Bonanno Family went from (1931-1966) without so much as a hiccup.

My viewpoint is that these two men (as well as their blood family members) were the best of friends, and the closest of allies, both in the streets, and on The Commission.

In fact, of all the acknowledged bosses of that era, Profaci and Bonanno stuck together like glue. Often times, much to the chagrin of other bosses competing for power within NYC and beyond.
-
So, for those reasons I mentioned, these two men would never have fought "against" one another. If anything, they would have closed ranks and consolidated their troops against their enemies.

In their time, these two were among the most wily and dangerous bosses out there on the underworld horizon.
--
But that said, I do think you are correct in your assessment of who might have won such a conflict. Bonanno had a larger borgata, and I do think he had access to more firepower if push ever came to shove; his cousin Stefano Magaddino who ran a huge network upstate and was deceptively powerful, as well as Bonanno-tied regimes in Canada and Sicily (as you mentioned) and a few other families sprinkled around the country such as the Colletti Family on Colorado, ties to California families, etc.

One thing's for certain, Turnbull, had a gang war like this ever taken place, it would have been one helluva battle! Lol

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull