Originally Posted by Havana
Originally Posted by NYMafia
Originally Posted by Hollander
Thanks NYM we know Frank Colacurcio was born to immigrant parents from southern Italy, Colacurcio was the eldest of nine children, and worked on his father's vegetable farm in Seattle. He was a powerhouse in Seattle and Vancouver.

Yes he was. But from what I've read about him, his "illegal" rackets were almost exclusively confined to topless/nude bars, B-girl clip joints and related prostitution activities...and of course, the tax-evasion schemes that went along with that.

I don't ever remember him getting involved with gambling and other types of "traditional" mob-styled rackets. Have you?

Haven't those non traditional activities along wit the tax evasion been part of the mob's portfolio for a long enough time to be considered traditional;?
What about guys that were very active with bootlegging and all that went with it when they were younger and then invested that money into legal or semi legal businesses including financing guys for some of the more illegal stuff like the gambling whether it be in the form of loan sharking or just plain helping guys out to get started in illegal businesses or even legal businesses of their own?

Hello Havana,

I'll try and answer your question, and explain what I meant, the best I can, ok.

Many mob guys commit tax-evasion offenses because it goes hand-in-hand with their other activities; bookmaking, shylocking, narcotics, etc. But, "tax-evasion" per se, is not exclusive to the Mafia. A solid cross section of people from all walks of life commit tax-evasion, from businessmen to politicians to average Joe's on their yearly income-tax returns. That is not the exclusive domain of the mob, or within their "portfolio" as you say the same way we consider gambling and shylocking, labor-union racketeering, etc., understand?

Secondly, even topless bars and prostitution (although some mob guys have engaged in these activities,) are not necessarily "Mob Rackets" per se, because there have been, are currently still are, many more people who operate nude bars and prostitutes in cities all across the U.S., (NY & NJ included) who have no organized crime affiliation whatsoever.

Last edited by NYMafia; 03/05/24 08:24 AM.