Originally Posted by Dwalin2011
Originally Posted by Havana
Originally Posted by Dwalin2011
Originally Posted by Blackmobs
Sacra Corona Unita

The organization was formed by on 25 December 1983, when several imprisoned Camorra and Ndrangheta members gathered at Giuseppe Rogoli's prison cell and initiated and sanctioned him as the head of a new criminal organization which, with the support of the Ndrangheta, would set itself up as Apulia's crime syndicate.

Is this statement true ? And if it is… why create a new organization?
Contrary to the Stidda in Sicily, it doesn’t seem it was because of a rivalry inside an organization

I think the new organization was needed initially to fight the expansion of Raffaele Cutolo's camorra organization into Apulia; the local criminals organized themselves with the support of the 'ndrangheta Bellocco group.

Wasn'torganized crime around in Apulia about as long as the Sicilan Mafia, Camorra.and N'dragheta had been around? And called La Mala Vita in Apulia (even though that's also an Umbrella ,name as is "Maffa" gfor all these groups? And then Cutola organized at least some of them into his Camorra faction? And as you say those who were a branch of the Camorra broke off on their own.Maybe with as it says above with the backing of the NDrangheta? ?

Jusr asking questions based on things I'd read

I am not really sure to be honest, I have yet to read more about the earlier history of crime in Apulia, most books I found are about the after 1980 period; but maybe those earlier groups weren't as large-scale as Cosa Nostra, Camorra and 'Ndrangheta; I read Giuseppe Rogoli wasn't even a real organized crime boss before he went to jail, he was just an armed robber. His organization was born as a prison gang initially, then a number of its members were released and expanded the activities onto the streets. Cutolo did organize some of the locals into the "New Apulian Camorra" ("Nuova Camorra Pugliese") in the first 1980s, but others formed an opposition and Rogoli got himself affiliated into the 'ndrangheta in prison, to get the support of the Bellocco 'ndrina.

I read also that before the 1980s, there was Cosa Nostra, Camorra and 'Ndrangheta activity in Apulia though, because many their members were sent in "internal banishment" into different regions (including Apulia) by law enforcement, because they thought that far away from home, organized criminals would be less powerful without their connections; but that plan backfired when the exiled criminals started making connections and expanding their activities in other regions as well; in reality, internal banishment helped then to do so. But these were organizations from other regions, I am not sure how organized the Apulian locals were before the 1980s though...

A couple of things I found.Actually found one or two more similar sources about early Camorra/Mala Vita Organizations in Apulia/Bari

https://books.google.com/books?id=e...20vita%20society%20in%20bari&f=false

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/48101549