Originally Posted by CNote
Originally Posted by Toodoped
Originally Posted by Toodoped
Joe Watts was on the level of Chicagos Lenny Patrick or Dave Yaras or Frank the German, meaning they were "high level" associates. I dont know all of the details regarding Watts, but guys like Patrick controlled their own crews and districts for decades and in fact, even made guys and capos had to receive a permission from them to operate in their areas. These guys either answered directly to the Outfits boss or were placed under another high level associate who in turn acted as representative for all of the non-Italian crews. In fact, the non-Italian rep position had a line of succession which required voting, after some of them were imprisoned, retired or dead. Few of the Outfits most infamous non-Ital reps were Jake Guzik, Murray Humphreys and Gus Alex. This situation falls in the traditional vs modern theory, and the US mob obviously belonged to the modern type of OC groups.

In addition, I forgot to mention Lansky and his Jewish faction. According to one convo betwwen Mafia members, one Genovese high level member (I think it was Willie Moretti) ordered the murder of one of Lansky's crew members without the ok from Lansky himself. This means that the Italian Mafia needed approval from their non-Italian associates and leader to kill one of theirs. Also, according to Outfit boss Tony Accardo, during one period Lansky allegedly also had a seat on the commission by representing his faction and also some of the Mafias most lucrative business interests.

I was considering opening that door but, then you have to mention Lepke Buchalter, Abe Reles, Pittsburgh Phil Strauss and the rest of the Brownsville Jewish OC, Lepke was a Boss in his own right.

I agree with you that Lepke was boss in his own right since the new commission was still "young" at the time but he was also closely associated to the Luciano family and possibly other families , too. Wasnt there a "second" syndicate which allegedly included Luciano, Lepke and other Italian and non-Italian reps, or something like that? As for Reles and Strauss, dont get me wrong but I think they cannot be compared to most of the non-Italian leaders at the time in terms of business and power.

He who can never endure the bad will never see the good