Originally Posted by CNote
Johnny Torrio, and to a lesser degree Paul Kelly, are the architects of modern organized crime in America. The James St gang, out of Vinegar Hill, Brooklyn, came to prominence utilizing Kelly's connections at Tammany Hall. Ironically, the Democratic political machine that dominated NYC politics from before the American Civil War, provided the political protection for the gangs political violence. Torrio, a boxing promoter met Kelly, a boxer who once fought Monk Eastman to settle ownership of the 5 Points, at local fights between the 2 boroughs after the City of New York formed in 1898 and the Willie B (Williamsburg Bridge) opened connecting the Lower East Side to Brooklyn. It was through this union, that Torrio, Yale, Vanella, Capone, Masseria, Luciano, Lansky, Siegal connected with each other. Evolving to eventually form the foundation from which rose the edifice of modern organized crime and the American Mafia. Torrio, Iole, Vanella, Capone all hung out in my neighborhood and Al was married at St Mary Shining Star of the Sea in Court St., ten blocks from my apartment in Carroll Gardens. Capone lived at 38 Garfield Pl between 4th and 5th Aves. He received the scars on his face very close to this location in the winter of 1918, in an altercation with Frank Gallucio after Capone insulted his older sister..

Interesting I read Andy Warhol bought the former HQ of Paul Kelly's gang in 1970.

"The king is dead, long live the king!"