Originally Posted by Turnbull
I think he did love Kay before Vito's shooting put him into the Family business. But when he returned to the US, I think she was basically a WASP ticket-punch for Michael--another ornament in his quest for "respectability." That scene in New Hampshire with him "wooing" Kay (Michael wearing that ridiculous Homburg hat, looking like a pint-sized banker) had all the passion of a real estate negotiation--with Kay as his property.
I am not sure about the “WASP ticket-punch” It seems the WASP is our doing!
As far as I can recall there was no such mention in the movie?

Besides WASP Kay was already Michael's girlfriend, long before Michael having to become the Don and his quest for "legitimacy" "respectability."

Sure thing there was no time [longer than a year -- tutored by Vito] nor the desire for "wooing" Michael's car following! behind

• Michael was honest though
I came here because I need a woman, to bring my sons into this world. You'll do -- What's Love got to Do with it?!

I came here because I need you -- because I care for you -- because -- I want you to marry me...
Kay -- I need you And I love you

longer than a year -- Mama couldn't find Michael a nice Italian origin bride, suitable Mob Boss wife