Originally Posted by Toodoped
Originally Posted by NYMafia
Originally Posted by Toodoped
Regarding Torrio...even though we still dont have any official info if he was a made member of the US Mafia during his reign as one of Chicago's leaders, still we have info that he was close to the Mike Merlo regime and after the attempt on his life, Torrio returned back to NY. Later in 1954 he returned to Chicago as a peacemaker together with Genovese member Tony Ricci, which means that Torrio still held some stature and respectability in the US Mafia and possibly belonged to the Genovese fam.

I suspect that Torrio was a made guy early on. Who most probably get straightened out by NY before relocating to Chicago. (although it's possible he was inducted later in Chicago by NY.)

But either way, as you mentioned, after relocating back to NY he was indeed a respected, card-carrying member of the Lucky Luciano Family.

I agree. Capone was made a decina by NY and was explained the secrets of the Mafia and was also given the right to pick his own ten guys and to turn them into made members. This means that previously Capone wasnt told about the secrets of the Mafia by anyone. So my other theory is that previously Torrio wasnt a decina because he obviously was going to make Capone a made man way before 1928, even though Torrio was connected to the Merlo regime which in turn was probably connected to the D'Aquila regime back in NY. So it is possible that Torrio was only a made soldier OR was just an associate of the Mafia (quite powerful one) when relocating to Chicago and later switched OR received his membership after relocating to New York by becoming a member of the Genovese family and was looked upon as senior gangster. Just my two cents lol...

I agree. Torrio (born in the mainland of southern Italy, the Basilicata region) was NOT a member of the Sicilian Mafia. Like Capone and others, he was more Camorrista than Mafioso. Torrio and Capone were most probably "brought in" about the same time, and each was originally a member of the old Masseria Family, which became the Luciano/Genovese Family. Hence their unwavering connection through the years to that particular NY Family.