Originally Posted by majicrat
The man was a criminal, period. Just because he appeared to be a gentleman and more educated than the thugs around him doesn’t eliminate the fact he was stealing from everyday citizens. He donated his time and his victims money all because it looked good when and if the time came he was arrested. Don’t make him out to be a saint now that he died. He lived his entire life on your dime and the dime of his criminal father and father in laws victims. He didn’t immigrate, work his way up thru the Italian slums selling newspapers as a 5 year old and make a living breaking his back like 1000s of his victims. Sorry, you live a life of crime, when you die you’re still a criminal you don’t get a pass from me. My two cents.

No, he was a member due to his family, but all his money, or almost all, came from legitimate income. He did donate millions to charity and hospitals, but it all came from his business earnings. He did not live on my dime, your dime, or anyone else's. As for Carlo Gambino, him and his peers made most of theirs through things like bootlegging and later gambling. There was drugs sold way back when, and stealing. Let's at least be honest in discussing it. Not everyone back then was going to sell newspapers for small change, work menial jobs, then grow old and die broke.