Originally Posted by RushStreet
Originally Posted by TheKillingJoke
Originally Posted by RushStreet
Originally Posted by Liggio
What would happen if a YouTube rat or a mob Podcaster got whacked? Besides the obvious and eventual prison time for murder, would it shake the other rats up and make them close up shop and crawl under a rock somewhere? Would it bring back the necessity for the Witness Protection Program? Would it stop rats from going back to their old neighborhoods and giving interviews with big smirks on their face?

I guarantee you if any cartel soldier went on you tube running their mouth they would send a hit squad after him and make him disappear.

If a cartel member started running his mouth on YouTube, the next video he's gonna feature in will be one on BestGore.

Which makes me ask the question... Why won't the mob do something similar to someone in this situation? Why are the Cartels so willing to act with violence? It has to go deeper than just "Oh the Mexican authorities will allow us to do this type of shit without any consequences."

What I see is that the Mexican mafia or cartels, whatever you want to call them, are just not afraid to use Violence. It seems like the Italian American mafia is not willing to use that same type of violence.

Which doesn't make any sense to me to be completely honest with you.

Honestly, the reason is really just as simple as being able to get away with it. Mexican law enforcement is in shambles. US law enforcement - in spite of all its problems and defects - is not.

Another reason is numbers. Mexico has a population of 126 million people of which 44% live below the poverty line. Of course the vast majority of poor people are not criminals and just do their best to get by, but combine such a high poverty rate with a well-established presence of organized crime and it's safe to say criminal organizations certainly won't run out of potential recruits any time soon.
Full blooded Italian-Americans on the other hand are about 2% of the US population (close to 6 million people) of which the majority by now are at least middle class. The American mafia simply doesn't have the inexhaustive well of potential recruits the Mexican cartels have. When you take a look at Calabria, Sicily and Campania in Italy you can see that all of those regions have a poverty rate of about 20%. Seeing there's also the presence of a huge underworld you can bet the Ndrangheta, the Mafia or the Camorra clans aren't going to run out of recruits either. The vast majority of Italian Americans these days just aren't in that situation.
The American mafia families are and have to be picky about who they make and they need every single member and preferably on the streets to earn. In Mexico a cartel can just pick any doped up whacked out moron to decapitate someone on camera because they have an endless list of expendable members.

A third reason is also the "cultural" difference between a mafia-type association and a drug cartel. A mafia-type association was always meant to be a secret society. A drug cartel on the other hand thrives on all-out terror.

Last edited by TheKillingJoke; 09/26/23 11:43 AM.