Originally Posted by hoodlum
Originally Posted by NYMafia
Originally Posted by hoodlum
So.. during the festivities , If I wanted 2 sell.... say...sausage & peppers on a long roll..I would in this day & age have 2 answer 2 a higher being????

Well, technically, you have to make an application to the San Gennaro Society, a little storefront that was always located on Mulberry Street. They organize and head the feast (similar church societies operate the same way for other feasts throughout the city.)

But, understand, that aside from being affiliated with the church and having the designated "authority" from them to operate the feast, there are people who are "behind" this entity who are generally connected guys (or at least thats how its always been for over a century already.)

These are the actual men who controls the companies that will provide the lighting, construct the wooden "stands" and stalls, supply the foods, bread, vegetables, provisions, utensils, games of chance, etc., etc, to the people who "rent" the curb stands/locations along Mulberry and adjoining streets of the feast.

The connected guys are also the ones who actually dole out which strategic locations will be awarded to which vendors. And you pay "rent" to them and buy all your supplies from them.

It was/is a potentially lucrative 10 days for everyone, especially mob guys.

Well, thanx 4 that info NYM..even though u & I both know that I am not going 2 that xtent here in Philly..just always wondered how it worked & u simplified it 4 me in laymens terms..much obliged .

My pleasure Hoodlum