Originally Posted by TheKillingJoke
With all due respect, but I don't really get the "USA lost the war in Afghanistan" drivel I read everywhere. What so many people don't seem to realize is that the USA decided to retreat themselves because they found it wasn't really worth it anymore. 2,448 American soldiers died while 51,191 Taliban fighters died. Taliban fighters spent most of their time hidden in caves until the Americans decided to retreat. You must ask yourself the question with all those wars the USA supposedly lost - Vietnam, Somalia, Afghanistan, etc... - how much of their military resources did the USA exactly use? If they would've even used about a tenth of the resources they have at their disposal Vietnam, Somalia, North Korea and Afghanistan would've ended up as nothing but scorched earth. That is a fact and I'm not even American.

if I'm not mistaken in Vietnam iwas the congress that prohibited further funds to continue the war and at the peak there were half a million soldiers in Vietnam against the Viet Cong who had retreated into the jungle and the escape from Saigon was similar to the escape from Kabul.
if they could do scorched earth in Vietnam, Afghanistan etc. why didn't they do it?
Ask yourself this.