Originally Posted by m2w
Originally Posted by TheKillingJoke
Albanians and Southern Italians in general are tight. In any Italian hangout in any Southern Italian diaspora community you'll always find more than a few Albanians hanging around as well.

criminally speaking are very different anyway, italians have big organizations, hierarchical with ranks and ceremonies, albanians clan are more fragmented and they are more criminal enterprises than traditional organized crime as even FBI said

That's very true. There are plenty of Albanians who say that Albania doesn't really have a "Mafia", but that Albanian criminal organizations are more like gangs. They can be very professional and of course violent when crossed - even though for all the talks about how dangerous they are they prefer to operate low-key - but there isn't a single Albanian criminal organization in existence that's as huge as any prominent Camorra, Ndrangheta or Mafia clan. That's just the way it is.

As for everything you read about any new breed of organized crime in the newspapers...you have to take it with a big grain of salt. A ton of articles are terribly researched and the words of so-called "investigators" get taken out of context to make it all sound more spectacular than it really is.

I've hung around many places throughout the years and I've heard many different stories. I've come across plenty of different types of organized crime groups. What is said in the papers usually doesn't even scratch the surface of what's going on. Plenty of groups that have allegedly "taken over" this trade or that trade in reality don't have as big of a market share as the papers make it out to be. And plenty of groups that are allegedly "gone" are still very much active and still have plenty of stakes in certain trades.

And one thing I can tell for sure is that any kind of noteworthy criminal organization that makes plenty of money is terrifying when crossed. You can't say one is more dangerous or "bigger" than the other because you wouldn't like to be on the wrong side of any of them.