Originally Posted by NYMafia
During the 1950s-1960s era, each of the following men served, at one time or another during that time frame, as the underboss of their respective NYC Family.

The question is, of the five notorious mafiosi listed below, in your opinion, which one was the toughest and had the most deadly reputation in New York’s underworld?

A) Anthony “Tony Bender” Strollo (Genovese Family)

B) Aniello “Neil” Dellacroce (Gambino Family)

C) Carmine “Lilo” Galante (Bonanno Family)

D) John “Sonny” Franzese (Colombo Family)

E) Stefano “Steve” LaSalle (Lucchese Family)

--
ButtonGuys now provides our thoughts about the question above as well as our viewpoints...(I also give the reasoning behind why we chose who we did.)
--
In my opinion, although each was dangerous and could be deadly in his own way, it depends upon what type of "toughness" we're discussing, what category of "toughness."

For instance, not all of them were necessarily physically tough guys. As far as that category goes, there is no doubt that Sonny Franzese was both physically fit, extremely tough with his hands and a good street fighter. So I'd have to rank him #1 in that particular category, without a doubt. I suspect that back in his youth Dellacroce was as well, and possible Galante also.

As far as "mental" toughness goes, again I'd probably go with a Franzese, Dellacroce and Galante, who, to me at least, all seem "mentally" tough. I pick Franzese and Galante because, Sonny did close to 40 years in stir, and Galante did 20 or more in stir over several bids. Thats no cakewalk fellas. Especially doing 40! Thats more than the others served all combined together. I add Dellacroce to this mix because although he didn't do heavy time, he just seems to have been a very focused and strong-willed individual.

As far as deadly goes. Well, all of them were. But as far as having been actual "shooters" themselves? Guys who picked up a gun, knife, or garrotte, and used it? Over and over as was ordered of them by their Family bosses? Once again, Galante, Dellacroce, and Franzese take that one too! Strollo probably pulled a few triggers back in his day. La Salle, as well, for that matter. But neither of them had the reputations of being deadly "stone killers" and assassins the same way that Galante, Franzese, and Dellacroce did. Thats a well established fact!

No doubt Strollo, and probably La Salle, ordered plenty of hits. But as far as them, personally, getting their hands dirty? Neither is in the same category as Galante, Franzese, or Dellacroce.

So there ya have it fellas. ButtonGuy opinion on the subject at hand.

Last edited by NYMafia; 08/08/23 04:55 PM.