an attempt at clarifying juan ramon fernandez and daniele ranieri affiliation.

i went through the past discussion here this morning and re read some info from 4 main montreal mafia books...6th family, mafia inc, business or blood, la source (scoppa book), plus dredged up ye olde hilroy books for old thoughts and info.

there can be no doubt that juan ramon fernandez (j.r.f. from now on) was allied with and worked for the rizzuto crime family, specifically for a time under/with VITO RIZZUTO. j.r.f. acted as a debt collector in toronto, he helped setup and coordinate drug imports direct from colombia and a variety of other crimes too long to list.

however j.f.r's career as a criminal was beyond sporadic and inconsistent. from those 4 books and internet sources we can construct a brief timeline.

1979=acted as driver for frank cotroni.
1979-1990=imprisoned after assault on his then girlfriend.
1991-1999-imprisoned for montreal based arsons...during this sentence both desjardins brothers attended j.f.r's wedding april 1992 in jail. VITO RIZZUTO was also invited but was denied attendance by prison authorities.
1999=deported to spain after sentence complete.
2001=returned to toronto illegally.
apr 2001=deported again to spain.
2001-2002=returned to toronto illegally again in this time period.
may 2002=arrested for gun possession and other charges.
2004=sentenced to 12 years for above charges.
apr 2012=deported again to spain.
sept 2012=arrives in bagheria sicily.
apr.9 2013=murdered in sicily.

i find the narrative of j.r.f being V.R'S "right hand man" absolute non sense and always have. fernandez was a spaniard and could never achieve made status in any family let alone one headed at this time by hard core sicilians. the rizzutos in 1990's to early 2000's were being run by VITO/NICK SR. with paolo renda et al as well. VITO as well as his father although leaders also had members/associates who reported direct to them, effectivley the bosses/leaders having a crew. so i would lump j.r.f and even r. desjardins into this group. V.R. had a crew he did business with and he ran the family. so i dont see the proof that j.r.f or desjardins were ever anything more than associates, albeit perhaps two that has direct ear of the boss, this scenario in mafia history is not even rare actually...hugh mcintosh, jimmy coonan etc.

there is ample proof of fernandez operating in toronto for the rizzutos in early 2000's but this activity ceased to exist upon his may 2002 arrest. fernandez was not on bail awaiting sentencing on street. so how he could have continued his influence on streets for rizzutos from jail i do not know.crews can be run from jail i know but j.r.f. was part of a crew at this time not the leader of a crew. the easiest solution upon his arrest was simply to replace him. also while imprisoned he faced constant pressure to be deported again which he and his lawyers delayed until sentence was over. and the same stories are trod out in all 4 of those books...the engraved watch from VITO, what fernandez called him out of respect etc. but those antidotes arent proof of much. most evidence points to j.r.f as being closer to desjardins and some qc HA members or rockers mc at this time...early 2000's.

after j.r.f's deportation and subsequent arrival in sicily i think his alliance becomes easier to distinguish. it is said he was ordered by V.R. to a couple meetings like other members were after VITO was released. for whatever reason these requests were denied by j.r.f that is telling in and of itself. if these 2 were so close and j.r.f was considered a member then when the boss tells you to come in you come in. also where fernandez decided to operate in sicily is telling. if he was still indeed allied with VITO then would agrigento area not be a better spot. cattolica eraclea or there abouts. instead he sets up in bagheria working under sergio flamia a recently inducted member of that cosca. j.r.f continued to run drug exports from sicily into the hamilton/gta area while in bagheria. notice the exports were not going direct to montreal a possible destination if indeed he was still allied with the rizzuto faction. possible drugs were re routed north after? then he and his associate pimentel are murdered by same scaduto bros once operating in toronto. this part is confusing only because the scadutos when in toronto would have been against pietro scarcella in that infamous drive by shooting. one of scarcella's children had VITO as its godfather and scarcella has long been linked to the rizzutos. alas 9 years is a long time and scaduto bros loyalty could have changed as i am not sure of inter family disputes of bagheria cosca at this time but i believe there was contested leadership. i would put the hit on j.r.f et al in the likely ordered by V.R. category with possibility it had to do with inter family politics and perhaps VITO only gave blessing.

this was longer than intended...gotta go take kids to dentist...more on ranieri next.

thanks for all the thoughts as well everyone...today so far is a good day.