Originally Posted by jace

Thank you Toodoped. I knew that the made it though the roaring 20's and all those era's wars, but I had never heard of the 1940's conflicts or his kidnapping.

No problem @Jace. Yup, Guzik played a major role during the 1940's when the Outfit's leadership was most vulnerable, by having many of his Jewish and non-Italian underlings being involved in the second conflict as killers, and also as corruptors regarding the early releases of the bosses. In fact, Guzik was also the prime player in taking over the race wires during that same period. Btw, here's one of Guzik's statements from that same era which I always find it funny, although it was very true....you see, in 1946 Guzik was arrested and taken for questioning and the cops wanted for Guzik to take a lie detector, and so the old gangster replied:

Captain, what’s the use of kidding ourselves?! If I took a lie test, 30 of the biggest men in Chicago would be diving out of high story windows and I’d have to hit myself in the head

Originally Posted by Turnbull
Guzik's brother, Harry, was famous (infamous actually) in his own right:
A young girl, who became known as "The Damsel in Distress," threw a note from a window in one of Harry's brothels, claiming she was being held against her will. This led to passage of the Mann Act, which made it a federal crime to transport underage girls across state lines for "immoral purposes." Probably the most famous man convicted under the Mann Act was Chuck Berry, who served almost two years in prison on that rap.

That's right @TB. It was assistant state attorney Clifford Roe who investigated Harry Guzik and his brothels, and he also asked for help from Washington D.C. so he can make a move on the vice trade, and he did it. Years later Harry Guzik also had a cancer which was removed from his throat and he used some type of small microphone which he used for talking. One of Harry's most famous brothels from the old days was named “The Blue Goose” at 119th and Paulina Street, and Harry allegedly managed the joint together with his wife Alma. It is interesting to note that some of these guys who were all connected, such as the Colosimos, the Guziks etc. had their wives also involved in the rackets. Colosimos wife, Victoria Moresco, was also involved in the prostitution racket together with her two brothers. Back in the days, from that same era, I also found one female with last name "Torrio" who was also involved in the rackets but I wasnt able to connect her to John Torrio.

In addition, in 1909 Harry’s younger brother Jake Guzik was arrested for the vanishing of an underage girl who he previously married her back in 1908. Guzik was mistakenly labeled as “John” in the newspapers at the time but besides that, he was later released on all charges. Story goes that Guzik “enslaved” underage girls for business but also for his own personal purposes. Besides receiving one suspicious telegram, the girl’s family never saw their daughter or sister ever again.

The Guzik brothers were obviously quite nasty.

He who can never endure the bad will never see the good