Originally Posted by Sullycantwell
Great stuff. This is my first introduction to your site and i enjoyed it. I like the writing style a lot, makes for an easy read. I do have a couple points/questions.

1.) In the article you stated, "These ancient criminal networks as well as other independent Italian criminals later formed La Mano Nera, better known as The Blackhand, which were early extortion gangs comprised of various Italian hoodlums that preyed on their communities." This is a widely held belief, but it actually isn't true. The black hand was merely an extortion tactic- as opposed to an organization- used by all criminals. Most of the time in fact it wasn't even a large group effort, rather a couple friends trying to make a buck. It also wasn't just an Italian thing. As Celeste Morello noted in her book, a group of Non-Italians were arrested in New Castle, PA and they were not of Italian descent. The newspapers made it seem as if it was ONLY Italians, but this simply wasn't true.

2.)In the article you also stated, "over 100 of the most important and powerful Mafia figures were having a major pow-wow at the time." This may very well be true, but only 61 got caught and I only know of 30 suspected members, do you have a list of the hundred?

3.) On the associate list a name jumped out at me. His name was Joseph Zito. In D'Elia's new book Zito is listed as a member of the Pittston family. This is likely the author making a mistake as he was likely an associate. We can infer this from the Pittsburgh Crime Commission report that states he was a Pittston associate. So why do you believe he was a Rochester associate instead of Pittston?

4.) Do you have any information for the associate you listed named Thomas Kelliher?

Thanks in advance and good article.

Sully,

To answer your questions (with "sources" attached):

** At the time he became a rat and testified at several trials against Russ Bufalino, Frank Valenti, and a bunch of other mafiosi from Rochester, Binghamton, and Buffalo among them, Joseph Zito was being reported as a Mafia "member." I do not believe that to have been the case. In fact, not at all. He was a half-assed associate who bounced around and dealt with many various guys from various crews.

There is much conjecture as to which crew he actually "belonged" with, if anyone in particular, at all. Truth be told, he may well have only been a semi-independent hoodlum who worked and bounced around among several crime families, including Pittston’s Bufalino Family and Rochester’s Valenti Family.

So, by definition, that could (and would) make him a Valenti Family “associate,” especially the fact that on several occasions its been well documented that Zito had to "report" to Valenti personally and capitulate to his demands and orders.

And even with that said, it still does NOT mean that Zito was exclusive to that particular Family. Understand?

Because, it you’ve learned anything at all, you should know that there are Family associates, and then there are Family "associates!”

** Thomas Killaher was a low-level associate engaged in gambling rackets.

** Although 62 mafiosi were actually nabbed at Apalachin, it was widely reported that dozens and dozens more mafiosi scurried through the woods and were thought to have escaped the clutches of law enforcement's net. And "estimates" by the FBI and other law enforcement agencies, as well as other reputable sources, put the total number of actual attendees at approximately 100 or more guests. "So, please don’t kill the messenger." Lol.

In fact, I'm guessing your "61 got caught and I only know of 30 suspected members" statement is referring to what's listed in the Apalachin Chart created by "Angelo Santino" aka "Chris Christie" - the researcher you've mentioned numerous times since you've come on GBB to comment on posts by Button Guys - which seems, based on your posting "history," are (with the exception of three) the only posts you seem to have an interest in.

By your own count, and according to that chart - it lists 91 members - well, really 90 because I've never heard of "Emilio Buttoni," so perhaps you can enlighten us on who that might be.

Plus, I'm sure you've already figured out that there are several missing mafiosi on that chart. So, "your" count along with the missing members would align with the "estimates" by the FBI, etc.

** And lastly, but certainly not least is my response to your "question" about my use of the term "La Mano Nera."

But before I get to my answer, I must ask you a question in turn and that is: You’re kidding me, right? You gotta be kidding me with such an adolescent and foolhardy question as that.

I actually thought you were more on the ball than that. But, I guess you’ve proved me wrong. Because this question is the equivalent of you, trying to sing to the choir! LOL. Please, don’t insult my intelligence. Because any entry-level mob aficionado should know that "La Mano Nera" was never one "formal" rubber-stamped and incorporated organization with a structure and formal hierarchy, or one monolith entity such as the Mafia, Cosa Nostra, Camorra, or La Societa Onorata.

As I just stated, "La Mano Nera" was not a formal organization, per se, but the name - the term - became a widely used buzzword and overarching "theme," if you will, that was used by a variety of Italian criminals, whether they be Sicilian, Calabrian, Napolitani, Barese, or the many others of various individuals who extorted under that "alleged" banner. And whether or not they were, in fact, "connected" guys or a few independent Italian criminals makes no difference whatsoever.

“La Mano Nera” or "The Black Hand" was a convenient moniker to further their extortionate goals.

Note: And with all due respect to Celeste Morello, I didn’t need to wait for her to teach me about "La Mano Nera."

So, on review and to recap. you either really need to brush up on your reading comprehension, or you’re just trying to be contrary for the sake of being contrary. Thus why it seems you've only started commenting on GBB - after being a member for over a year - to nit-pick and question every little comma and to make sure every "T" is crossed and every single "I" is dotted, in a painfully transparent and thinly veiled attempt to try and discredit Button Guys of The New York Mafia and its authors.

Which could never happen in a million years, get it?

- "The Other Guy"

Attached Files 1-zito-5-20-72-buffalo-news.png2-kelliher-9-10-70-democratchronile.png3-appalachin chart.jpg4-Buffalo PD Then and Now - Apalachin.jpg
Last edited by NYMafia; 07/20/23 02:41 PM.