Think that one over, a boss is only strong as his family. Let's talk here. Fratianno and Lonardo gave those statements yes. They are not part of the Genovese family. The Fish is and gave the feds Lombardo and Gigante as the bosses after Vito Genovese. Anthiny Salerno was tapped to be boss but had the stroke and Gigante became boss. So we know how Gigante rised to power. Frank Tieri was a boss, he was over New Jersey faction and pretty much did as he liked. The New Jersey faction seemed to governor themselves since 1950s, except for major issues or a Commission ruling. I believe Tieri oversaw New Jersey and made moves without New York knowing, such as Angelo Bruno and Antonio Caponigro and the fallout in Philadelphia afterwards. The guys who have become the boss after Vito Genovese in the family didn't take it boss because they wanted to but because many felt they should take the position and they did so in a sense to duty. That is why the Genovese are stronger than a lot of other families, not by their size but by their loyalty. If the Genovese wanted to be strong and keep their bosses save, then why would they tell someone outside their family who the real boss is, when all they have to say is this is the guy who is going to represent us for the other families. Example, Tony a capo knows that Carmine is now the boss of the family, but that Mario will represent the families to other families. So Tony tells Tommy of another family and Bruno of a different family who are both Capos or higher that Mario will represent us. Tony did not say that Carmine is the boss, only that Mario will represent the family, so both Tommy and Bruno believe that Mario is the boss. Thoughts?

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green