Originally Posted by Sullycantwell
Originally Posted by NYMafia
Originally Posted by Sullycantwell
Originally Posted by NYMafia
A CENTURY OF “OFFICIAL" MAFIA FAMILY BOSSES

This is a general batting lineup of “officially” recognized Family “bosses” for New York City’s notorious Five Families, and for the sixth Family, based in New Jersey. These men represented/represent the formal leadership of their respective borgatas from their earliest formation during the 1920s-1930s era, up through the more current decades.

Note: We welcome your opinions and welcome you to make additions and/or changes to this list. We also welcome our fellow forum members to add similar lists for the other 20+/- Families that operated throughout the United States to expand this thread as well..

GAMBINO FAMILY:
Manfredi Mineo ?
Salvatore D’Aquilla
Francesco Scalici
Vincenzo Mangano
Albert Anastasia
Carlo Gambino
Paul C. Castellano
John Gotti Sr.
Domenico Cefalu (reputed)

GENOVESE FAMILY:
Giuseppe Masseria
Salvatore Lucania
Francesco Castiglia
Vito Genovese
Philip Lombardo
Vincent Gigante
Liborio S. Bellomo (reputed)

BONANNO FAMILY:
Nicola Schiro
Salvatore Maranzano
Giuseppe S. Bonanno Sr.
Gaspare Di Gregorio
Paul Sciacca
Natale Evola
Philip Rastelli
Joseph Massino
Vincent Basciano
Michael Mancuso (reputed)

COLOMBO FAMILY:
Salvatore Di Bella
Giuseppe Profaci
Giuseppe Magliocco (interim)
Joseph A. Colombo Sr.
Thomas Di Bella
Carmine J. Persico
?

LUCCHESE FAMILY:
Gaetano Reina
Gaetano Gagliano
Gaetano Lucchese
Carmine Tramunti
Antonio Corallo
Vittorio Amuso

DeCAVALCANTE FAMILY:
Stefano Badami
Filippo Amari
Nicholas Delmore
Simone R. DeCavalcante
John M. Riggi Sr.
Charles Majuri ? (reputed)

A couple mistakes on the early years, here's how I believe it should go:

Bonanno:
Paolo Orlando: 1900?-1903? left america, came back in 1906 and was deported 3 years later
Sebastiano DiGaetano: 1909? or 1910- 1912 (acting capo dei capi)
Nicolo Schiro: 1912-1930
Salvatore Maranzano: 1930-1931
Angelo Caruso: acting boss 1931
Joseph Bonanno: 1931-1964

Colombo:
Manfredi Mineo 1912-1928
Salvatore DiBella: 1928?-1930?
Giuseppe Profaci:??-1962

Gambino family:
Nicola Taranto (possible): ?-1896
Ignazio Lupo: ?-1910
Giovanni Lupo (possible acting boss): 1910-1912
Salvatore D'Aquila: 1912-1928
Manfredi Mineo: 1928-1930
Frank Scalice: 1930-31?
Vincenzo Mangano: 1931-1951
Albert Anastasia: 1951-1957
Carlo Gambino: 1957-1960 acting boss; 1960-76 official

Genovese:
Giuseppe Masseria: he began as boss sometime between 1921 to 1924, he remained as boss until his murder
Salvatore "charlie Lucky" Luciano 1931-1936; went to jail, but remained as boss until 1946?
Chee Gusae [ph]- 1936, acting
Frank Costello 1937-1946 acting; 1946-1957 official
Vito Genovese: 1936 acting; 1957-1969 official

Luchese:
Giuseppe Morello-began as boss sometime between 1897 and 1903; remained as boss until 1910
Giovanni Pecoraro: 1910-1912 acting boss
Fortunato LoMonte: 1912-1914
Ippolito Greco: possible boss until 1915 murder
Salvatore Loiacano: ?- December 1920 murder
Gaetano Reina- began as boss sometime between 1921-1924; ruled until 1930 murder
Bonventura Pinzolo: 1930; killed in coup by Dominick"the gap" Petrilli
Tommaso Gagliano: 1930-1951

Sully, I believe you are correct in some of your additions here. I definitely forgot a few. But as far as Manfredi Mineo goes, I do not believe he ever had anything to do with the early development of what later became the Profaci/Colombo group. In my mind, (unless I'm mistaken here), I always had him connected to what later developed into the Mangano/Scalice Family (Anastasia/Gambino).

I suggest you read the Informer May 2014 edition. Their evidence for him being boss is when Giuseppe Fontana was murdered. Salvatore Clemente (a made member in Morello's borgata) reported that Fontana was killed by Mineo's family.

Thats possible. But it still isn't proof, nor does it mean that Manfredi Mineo was necessarily part of the old Profaci group. There could have been, and often was, inter-family conflicts during those years.

In fact, I believe that it's been well documented that future Colombo capo Tommy DeBella's father, Salvatore DeBella, was the founding 'father' of what later become the Profaci/Colombo borgata. Before Joe Profaci became/was ratified the boss of this Family.

And even earlier than that, there is strong evidence that from the ashes of early Brooklyn strife and gang warfare, (before the development of the 5 families, per se) both amongst themselves, and in conflict with each other, separate Napolitani and Sicilian factions (whose relatives became later powers within the Profaci group) fought for turf and power., and were the early 'seeds' of power. I'm speaking about such men as Michael (The Sweetheart) Abbatemarco (brother of Frank 'Frankie Shots' Abbatemarco, Giuseppe (The Clutch Hand) Paraino (the father of future Profaci hoods Anthony and Joseph Peraino), and a few others.