Colorado had a lot of small families, that would become defunct or merged with the Colorado family (Pueblo). Denver had two families or organizations, Fort Collins had one, Pueblo had 4, Colorado Springs had one, Trinidad had two, Canon City had one. Not going to get into the early history too deep, but the Scaglia family of Pueblo is important as it was the first official family from the 1910s to 1922. It caused a war with Kansas City from 1918 to 1920, which is why New Orleans, and New York were sending guys to the west coast. When Pelligrino Scaglia the undisputed boss was killed in 1922, his family was disbanded, with members transferring to other families in Colorado and across the states, shelved, or marked for death, Rosario DeSimone of Los Angeles was one of these men who was marked and stayed in Los Angeles and transferred to that family permanently. When the war was over in New York City, it took a about a month, maybe till November for Colorado to pick its leaders when all mergers were done. The Calabrians had a small group in western Colorado but remained their own group, no hostilities between them and Colorado family. Not so much for the Denver Calabrians led by Joe Roma. Charles Blanda was the official recognized boss after he killed the Carlino brothers, had wanted Denver as well. So he had the Mortellaros from Fort Collins go after Roma, when Vincenzo Mortellaro was killed in 1932, Blanda had to switch tactics. I dont believe the Smaldones were involved, it was just a perfect opportunity for them that they got the cash from Roma hours before Joe was killed. I believe Carlo Amato was one of those involved. He became capo right after and stepped down in favor of Gaetano Smaldone for Capo sometime in the 1940s. Ralph Smaldone was from Potenza and was made in Italy with the Calabrians. His sons even though there is nothing on them going through the ceremony, they were still recognized by the families across the nation.

Colorado Crime Family.
Calogero Blanda 1931- 1950 Retired.
Vincenzo Colletti 1950- 1969 Retired.
Joe Spinuzzi 1969- 1975 Died
Gaetano Smaldone 1975- 1998 Died
Clearance Smaldone 1998- 2006 Died

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green