Originally Posted by NYMafia
Originally Posted by I_Sell_Dem_Tomatoes
@NYMafia I definitely agree, but it's funny that @Turnbull made me realize Umberto Valenti is the only one I can think of right now credited personally to Lucky (which is even disputed) hahaha

I think the view new-school bosses put in more hands-on-work than the old-school bosses is just from the continuing rise of mass communication/media in the 1900's resulting in public finding out who's attributed to which murders a lot easier

It was way easier to find out who's attributed to what murder in the 80's than it was in the 20's when Lucky and Costello would of been putting in hands-on-work

But I agree @Turnball that it does seem that way with just the facts we have

I agree with that assessment. The expansion of worldwide coverage of events, and especially with the creation of the internet, has 'enlightened' the general masses to every little nuance that goes on, not only in the mob, but the world in general.

Back in the 1920s-1960s era, there was no such thing. Especially back in the 1920s-30s.

I actually think the rise of mass communication/media, climaxing with the internet, was one of the biggest contributors to the decline of the mob (Italian-only Mafia definitely)

One of the biggest weapons for the mob (black hand groups before them, etc.) was mystery
Mystery is not only a great weapon against the law, but it's almost necessary for successful rackets like extortion
All mystery began to be be lost as the 1900s progressed, and now we have the fucking internet hahaha