You are not wrong! Tom sets himself up for [self] punishment! every time. Tom never learns....

Tom doesn't read the situation and wouldn't let go.... even after the dreaded Corleone stare and the decision has obviously been made, Tom can't see that the decision made will remain unchanged and whatever Tom says will make no difference whatsoever

• penultimate boathouse scene
Originally Posted by Evita
Tom asked the question in front of Rocco and Neri. Why did you ask me if something was wrong when I came in?
So Michael answered in front of Rocco and Neri.

he's in Israel Then trying to discourage killing Roth who will always be a threat to Michael. Duh!

in addition to the above,
Tom: Alright -- just consider this Mike -- that's all just consider it. Now Roth and the Rosato's are on the run -- are they worth it? And are they strong -- is it worth it -- I mean you've won -- do you have to wipe everyone out?
[It is clear to everyone but Tom! that no one - turned out not even Michael's own blood brother - gets a pass from Michael Corleone]
Michael: I don't feel I have to wipe everyone out -- just my enemies -- that's all.
You gonna come along with me in these things I have to do -- or what because if not you can take your wife, your family and your mistress -- and move 'em all to Las Vegas
Tom: Why do you hurt me Michael -- I've always been loyal to you -- I mean what is this
Michael: So -- you're staying?
Tom: Yes, I'm staying. Now what is it that you want me to do?

• Fish tank scene
Michael: Tom Hagen's no longer Consiglieri -- He's gonna be our lawyer in Vegas. That's no reflection on Tom but that's the way I want it (then) Besides -- if I ever need help, who's a better Consiglieri than my father? Well, that's it
Tom: (seated on the couch) Mike, uh - why am I out?
Michael: You're not a wartime Consiglieri, Tom. Things may get rough with the move we're trying
Vito: (sitting next to Tom on the couch) Tom -- I advised Michael. I never thought you were a bad Consiglieri. I thought -- Santino was a bad Don, rest in peace. Michael has all my confidence as - as you do. But uh -- there are reasons why you must have no part in what is going to happen
Tom: (to Michael) Maybe I could help.... [even after it is clear the decision was as per Vito's counsel]
Michael: (curtly) You're out, Tom

• Ola meeting
Michael: Tom "my lawyer," isn't gonna sit in with us -- he only handles specific areas of the family business. Tom --
Tom: Sure, Mike -- If you need anything, Mike, I'll be outside, alright? [even after it is clear Michael wouldn't need anything]
Michael: Just tell Rocco we're waiting, Tom

• Vito's surprise birthday
Tom: Now you don't understand [?!] but uh, your father has big plans for you
Now many times he and I have talked about your future.
Michael: Talked to my father about my future? My future
Tom: Mikey, he has high hopes for you
Michael: Well I have my own plans for my future
Tom: Michael why -- why didn't you come to us? I mean Pop had to pull a lot of strings to get you a deferment
Michael: I didn't ask for a deferment -- and I didn't want it