Originally Posted by Big_Tuna93
Originally Posted by NYMafia
TD, I hear everything that you've said. And I don't necessarily disagree with your general viewpoints. I think the terminology may be getting in the way between us. Lol.

An "official" position to me, means the following; Capo Famiglia (Boss), Sotto Capo (underboss), Consigliere (Advisor), Capo di decina (Captains), Soldati (soldiers), Associati (formal associates, many of whom will later be formally "inducted" into the ranks of Cosa Nostra)....and then various "associates" of varying rank, importance, and value.

A "consigliere," in its most formal meaning, is not a "treasurer" per se. He is a "counselor" to both the rank-n-file members and the hierarchy alike. A "treasurer," although valuable, is NOT a formal rank. Neither is a TOP associate (no matter who he may be) who is asked his opinion, or is consulted for before certain decisions are made by the boss. He may be valued, even very highly in fact. The racket revenue he and his operations bring in may necessitate involving him in certain decision making processes. But its still NOT official.

And no matter how smart, resourceful, tough, etc., he may be. Or how many connections to the police department or the courts, he may have. He's STILL viewed as an "outsider." ALWAYS remember that! Because THAT is Cosa Nostra!....and by extension, THAT is Cosa Nostra, the Outfit, in Chicago as well.

So, I think, at the end of the day, it's really a matter of semantics and where you wanna place the handle on the pot. Because however we wanna look at it, the Chicago "Outfit" (and the core Mafia Family behind it)....admittedly worked like a charm for over 80 years. They must have been doing something right! Lol

Both of you guys should collab on a Chicago outfit write up. Great info between the two of you.

This turned into such a knowledgeable discussion! I appreciate EVERYONES comments and information.