BH, I absolutely agree you, 100%, on the last point you made about fresh "recruitment" being vital to shore up a sagging "weak" Americanized Cosa Nostra.

Most of the American-born Italians of today DO NOT want any part of organized crime, Cosa Nostra, or otherwise. Young Italians today are generally much better educated than their forefathers and have tremendous opportunities in the legitimate world where they can make as much, and often times, much more money than in the rackets. And not risk jail and death and all the other pitfalls of the "Life."

And most of the young Italian men still drawn to that life today are, generally speaking, not of the same caliber or made of the same fiber as their predecessors. THATS a fact! They generally don't have the intelligence or moxie of a Frank Costello, Lucky Luciano, or Carlo Gambino. In a word, with few exceptions, they're ignoramuses who are looking for a quick fix for their lack of education and drive.

Trust me when I tell ya, that there ain't too many real smart, capable guys going into that line of work nowadays. lol