-
Sebastian (John) La Rocca:
1) He controlled the City of Pittsburgh for decades (300,000 population). Yet, was generally able to remain in the background, allowing a few trusted minions to be "up" front. Pittsburgh was a city with a rich underworld history.
2) Had a limited police record, and (to my knowledge) never served any big jail time.
3) As an "East Coast" boss, held close ties to Cosa Nostra's power base back in NYC. He worked closely with top bosses.
4) Although the family had a small formal membership, they were augmented by literally hundreds of "associates."
5)He was a wealthy guy. He owned a cement block supply company, real estate, coin-vending machine distributorships, etc.
6) I respect the fact that he wasn't greedy. He shared the "wealth" among his top capos and soldiers, which of course, in turn, kept everybody happy and avoided dissension within the ranks (an EXTREMELY sharp move on his part).
7) To the best of my knowledge about him, he was able to enjoy his life. Vacationed to Florida and other destinations regularly, etc. And he lived into his eighties (if I remember correctly). A well-lived life.
-

One note to add to this response, and I agree with what you said here, in response to #6 on your list -

It made me think of one thing our friend FOH told me once, I don't remember which of his personal friends told him this, but once Michael Genovese took over after LaRocca's death, the gentleman said something along the lines of " now I am making real money".

Maybe FOH will read this and can elaborate.

You are correct, Big John was not greedy, but by the time he passed in 1984 and Michael took over full control, Genovese had already made his money from 40+ years in the rackets, so he allowed his people to earn and keep even more than LaRocca did apparently.