Sure thing That was one of the tough questions “Michael should have been asking himself”

However I believe that was Roth's grave mistake as well "interesting himself in that two-bit dispute" which showed his hand
ie: if not for Roth's that mistake, Michael could never have suspected Roth, in the Tahoe shooting
1. Roth had just gifted! Michael their hotel by going along with Michael moving Klingman out
2. Roth was in the process of gifting! Roth's Havana empire

• Greed
I don't think Roth was a greedy man
Roth was living the life of a retired investor on a pension! in a modest house, tuna sandwich for lunch....

I believe Roth was not greedy for Michael's $2 million [Michael was all set to be murdered New Year's Eve with or without the $2 million] but of course if it fell into Roth's lap, Roth will take it Bonus! and added bonus Michael's own money paying for his own murder

I also believe the $2 million was another clever tactic of Roth's, to lure Michael to the Havana carrot
1. Michael to meet the President and be anointed as Roth's successor -- Roth's heir apparent
2. and bribe the President with Michael's little gift for continued protection and free to make their profits

Whilst Michael's greed made him careless, saying stupid things and nearly undone himself with Roth, Roth's lust for revenge, undone himself with Michael