"Roth's inside man Fredo's own words" - “something in it for me -- on my own” for Fredo's "little help" to Ola

Extracts:
Originally Posted by The Last Woltz
I also agree with Pete that the impact of the ending is really minimized if you look at Fredo as just another enemy, rather than a prodigal brother who unwittingly was involved in a coup attempt and ended up losing his life over it

Turnbull is a good man! I believe that story. The fact remains “He betrayed his brother for personal gain” whether “unwittingly [or otherwise] Fredo was involved in a coup attempt” which could have wiped out the entire Michael Corleone family
Originally Posted by Turnbull
Fredo told Michael, "He [Johnny Ola] said there'd be something in it for me." He betrayed his brother for personal gain. "I swear to God I didn't know it was gonna be a hit." In other words, Ola didn't tell him it was gonna be a hit, and Fredo didn't ask why Ola wanted him to open the drapes to Michael and Kay's bedrooom. What did Fredo think was going to happen?
Sure thing Fredo was the only contender with “the motive and the incentive” for opening the drapes “because he was cooperating with Ola against his brother”

My take as well, Fredo's something in it for me was [Roth's empty promise carrot] the Donship and Fredo's little help was opening the drapes thus identifying Michael's bedroom

Originally Posted by Evita
Exactly We can't ignore, his outburst I'm your older brother Mike and I was stepped over! It ain't the way I wanted it!
and he can only get the Donship if the current Don was dead or sent to prison

We debate how Fredo's murder was a horrific act but he did exactly the same and would have been just as horrific and guilty of fratricide if Michael had been killed He was complicit in trying to get his brother killed He stepped over me He did injure him

“Let’s be honest Michael initially did give him [Fredo] a pass” Ref: Desert Inn until Fredo's full extent of Fredo's deeper involvement with Roth against his kid brother and treachery were revealed in Fredo's outburst in the boathouse
Michael to Tom at the Desert Inn: I know he's scared -- tell him everything's all right.
Tell him I know Roth misled him -- and he didn't know they were planning to kill me

Nevertheless and in spite of all the mounting evidence pointing to Fredo indeed set out to harm and injure his brother Michael, for the Donship and the fact remains “He betrayed his brother for personal gain”
Originally Posted by Lana
Michael could have easily continued the same arrangements of keeping Fredo under watch or similar until Mama Corleone's natural death Michael had the money and the resources Michael could have spared Fredo Besides if Mama had lived longer....