Originally Posted by Evita
We had debated before Fredo could have been spared but Turnbull puts up an excellent case for it's justification

Originally Posted by Turnbull

Michael's ordering of Fredo's murder was a horrific act. Michael was a reprehensibllle man, heading a reprehensible criminal empire. But, from his viewpoint, Fredo had to die. Fredo's outburst in the boathouse revealed the depth of his resentment toward his brother. Sooner or later, someone elserwould approach Fredo with yet anpther death-dealing offer. And, as Don, Michael had to prove to enemies and even friends that no one--not even his brother--gets a pass from Michael Corleone, no one finds a c***k l in his armor. As Hyman Roth said, "This is the business we've chosen."

Michael being tormented by Fredo's murder in spite of his treachery, shows he has a heart
My take, for what it is worth!

The Dons' lives are on the line everyday, in their kill or be killed criminal empire “that no one--not even his brother--gets a pass from Michael Corleone” However Michael wasn't a Don then Michael was a 'legitimate' businessman!

I am not sure Turnbull whilst I appreciate your “excellent case for it's [Fredo's killing] justification” - nobody witnessed Fredo's boathouse outburst

The general census was - Roth misled Fredo and Fredo [supposedly!] didn't know it was gonna be a hit

Michael could have easily continued the same arrangements of keeping Fredo under watch or similar until Mama Corleone's natural death Michael had the money and the resources Michael could have spared Fredo Besides if Mama had lived longer....

Nobody other than Neri, knew Fredo was on borrowed time, had a Lifeline as long as Mama was alive
It looked to Michael's enemies, Fredo had gotten a pass

There was no indication, Michael's enemies tried to exploit, Fredo getting a pass [however long Mama was alive] as a sign of weakness "no one [found] a c***k in his armor"

I doubt Neri would ever exploit or consider Michael weak for giving Fredo, his own - Mickey Mouse night club, brothel running, errand boy - brother, a pass and Rocco [even if Rocco was tempted!] wouldn't dare with Neri around

I agree, Michael even in "This is the business we've chosen." reprehensible criminal empire, has a heart
and Fredo broke Michael's heart -- Fredo broke Michael's heart