All the women of Matteo Messina Denaro, his daughter Lorenza: "I don't want to know anything"
by Laura Spano January 18, 2023
mafia, Matteo Messina Denaro, Trapani, Chronicle
Matteo Messina Denaro's hideout where the diary was found in which he also spoke of his daughter
Lorenza Alagna is 27 years old today and according to investigators she would never have met Matteo Messina Denaro , her father. "I don't want to know anything, leave me alone, pretend I don't exist," she said after her father's arrest. Words reported by Il Fatto Quotidiano in the same vein as those said some time ago on Tg2, behind the closed shutters of her home: «I don't want to give interviews, I don't want to be in the spotlight. That's enough. I am a very normal girl like all the others. I want to be left alone. You have to pretend I don't exist."

In his exchange of letters with Suetonius, alias Antonino Vaccarino , the former mayor of Castelvetrano, the then fugitive Matteo Messina Denaro, signing himself Alessio, wrote: «I don't know my daughter. I've never see her. Destiny wanted it that way. I hope that life takes everything from me to give it to her (…). Not knowing your own children is against nature." And the boss also speaks of his daughter in his diary found in the Campobello di Mazara hideout.

Messina Denaro's daughter and wiretapping
In the interceptions collected over the years by the agents of the "captured" of the Trapani mobile team, Lorenza Santangelo, the mother of the boss, complained that her niece was growing up and he had never seen her. The difficulties of a man perpetually on the run are testified by family arguments. «You have to tell your brother that he has a daughter who turned 11 in December and that the time has come for him to write something to her too, because now the girl is starting to ask questions about her father and he can't continue to ignore her as he has always done, even forgetting his daughter's birthday».

The brother tried to find excuses for Matteo's shortcomings: "It is clear that in the place where he is he cannot write, he cannot send anything". After all, it was he himself who defended his choices, in another letter, in which he even claimed for himself the role of defender of a "just cause".

Meanwhile, daughter Lorenza grew up and was never officially recognized by her father. "How much I would like the affection of a person and unfortunately this person is not present by my side and she will never be present because of fate...", she wrote on Facebook a few years ago. Today she doesn't want to know about her father, she denies him.

All the women by Matteo Messina Denaro
When Matteo Messina Denaro began his long hiding in January 1993, he dismissed his girlfriend at the time, Sonia, with a message: "I don't even want to think about involving you in this labyrinth from which I don't know how I'll get out for the simple fact that I don't I know how and when I got there. Don't think about me anymore, it's not worth it." In the following months, the boss established a stable relationship with Franca Maria Alagna , the woman who gave birth to his daughter Lorenza on 17 December 1995, who bears her mother's surname and her paternal grandmother's name. After her birth, Messina Denaro's partner went to live with her mother-in-law together with her newborn. Once she came of age, both Lorenza and her mother obtained "permission" to move away from Castelvetrano.

On July 14, 2021, Messina Denaro became a grandfather: Lorenza Alagna gave birth to a child who has neither his grandfather's name nor his natural father's surname (but that of his mother).

Franca Maria Alagna was not the boss's only woman. Among the other important female figures in Messina Denaro's life, there is Andrea Hasleher , a young Austrian with whom he had fallen in love. Enough to order the murder of the director of the hotel in Selinunte where she worked in the summer. Maria Mesi , on the other hand, is the one who has been closest to the boss over the years. “You are the most beautiful thing there is,” Messina Denaro wrote to her in a pizzino intercepted by the investigators. In addition to the sporadic meetings (in an apartment on the outskirts of Palermo and in a villa in Bagheria) with Mesi, the boss established a correspondence that ended up in the hands of the investigators several times.

Love letters in which Maria announced gifts such as perfumes or video games, Matteo Messina Denaro's great passion during his long absence. «You know, I read in the video game magazine that the Donkey Kong 3 tape is out and I can't wait for it to be on the market to buy it for you. That of Secret Maya 2 has not yet arrived. You are the most beautiful thing there is», was written in a letter sent by the woman to Messina Denaro. Precisely this link with Matteo Messina Denaro led Maria Mesi to prison for aggravated aiding and abetting, it was 2000. And she was detained until February of the following year (2001).

It was by following the movements of the woman that in 1998 the forces of order came one step away from the capture of the boss. On that occasion, in fact, they discovered a hideout in Bagheria, in via Milwaukee 40. When the police officers broke in, Messina Denaro had already escaped. A jar of Nutella, one of caviar, an incomplete puzzle, a carton of Merit cigarettes were found in the house.

"The king is dead, long live the king!"