Originally Posted by matteogalante38
Originally Posted by jtsterling
Joe Alioto was elected mayor in 1968 and served until 1976. His uncle Giovanni "John" Alioto, the former Milwaukee Mafia boss, attended the swearing in ceremony. One of John's brothers, Mariano “Mario” Alioto was an early San Francisco gangster, gunned down by Black Hand rivals in North Beach not long after his father-in-law Gaetano Ingrassia, another gangster, was killed on the same spot a year prior. Another brother, Joe Alioto's father Guiseppe Alioto, served as underboss to Frank Lanza while Joe grew up to be a mob lawyer, representing Frank Lanza’s son, James “Jimmy the Hat” Lanza after he took over control of mafia operations in 1961..

Where did you hear that Giuseppe Alioto served as underboss to Frank Lanza? I had not heard that claim before, and it’s a pretty big one. And about Ingrassia being a gangster? I haven’t even been able to verify that Alioto was made… According to Tony Lima and Nicola Gentile, the first recognized underboss was Joseph Piazza, around 1919. Also, Giuseppe Alioto and Giovanni Alioto were not brothers but cousins. Giuseppe had six brothers, all in SF, one of which was Mariano.

Here’s a little blurb I put together on Piazza based on the info provided by Lima and Gentile: Joseph Piazza was the first recognized underboss of the San Francisco family. A mysterious character, Piazza was referred to as the number two man under Francesco “Don Cicciu” Lanza as early as 1919. He was active with his own group of black handers who opposed Lanza’s leadership. Piazza plotted to extort Giuseppe Alioto, a pioneer in the fishing industry and Lanza’s partner in the Exposition Fish Grotto, one of the first restaurants on Fisherman’s Wharf. When consigliere Salvatore “Sam” Lima disagreed with the extortion plot, Piazza attempted to kill him. In response to his behavior, Joseph Piazza was murdered in the early 1930s in Lodi, CA. Sam Lima’s nephew, Antonio “Tony” Lima, took credit for the hit.

Thanks, you are correct about Giuseppe and Giovanni being cousins, not brothers. I'm slowly getting the facts straightened out. And also, thanks for the info you shared.

Giuseppe Alioto has shown up as an underboss on a couple charts I've seen. The bottom chart on this page shows it (as well as Ingrassia): http://mafiamembershipcharts.blogspot.com/search/label/San%20Francisco I am still looking for solid evidence of this (as solid as it can be, I mean, no one was supposed to know any of this info and a lot of effort went into keeping it all secret).

I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid.
- John Gotti