Quote:
Originally posted by Guineapig:
[quote]Originally posted by Don Provalone:
[b] Folks:

Granted the Pope is not Terry Schiavo, but in principle is it any more right or wrong to keep the Pope alive with a feeding tube? You have an elderly man, who has been in poor health for a long time. He has brain activity, in fact he refuses to retire. Is it best to let him live out his days as he wishes, or try to artificially extend his life, with little hope of measureable quality of life improvement? Or does his case represent a special circumstance?

Personally, I would like to see him live out his days as he wishes (although I wish he would retire so that a younger person could continue the work without a major break in service).

Your thoughts please...
Do you understand Catholicism? [/b][/quote]From a doctrinal perspective - yes (I am a Baptist, hence my understanding of Catholicism is only at the doctrinal level). But in terms of the protocol for replacing leaders - no I do not. I understand that the pope is the highest ranking member of the Catholic Church. But why there is a tendency for popes to die in office - no, I am ignorant of reasons for those policies. Any insight that you could provide GP would be appreciated please!

No offense was intended for anyone of the Catholic faith. But as an outsider, I cannot see the reason for keeping poeple in positions once they have reached the point where they are neither good to themselves nor any to whom they would try to minister. My view on this is pretty consistent - I have the same perspective on Supreme Court justices. My preference is to see people retire gracefully allowing for knowledge transfer and to say good bye with their eyes open.

So yes any insight on the end of life retirement policy for popes would be very helpful please.

"People who are not serious, should not be taken seriously"