Originally Posted by Dwalin2011
Originally Posted by TheKillingJoke

There's drug trafficking in Edinburgh as there's in any major city, but it isn't really a hotspot for organized crime. Daniel and Lyons families are highly publicized because of their long running feud, but there's way way more mobs operating from Glasgow that are internationally active. Daniel and Lyons are both from North Glasgow and they're no doubt feared and have pull over there, but there's a few mobs from for instance South Glasgow that arguably have even more resources and can be regarded as big time players in the European underworld. There's also mobs operating from West and East Glasgow. We don't know the true extent of their power, but I'd wager that there's even quite a bit more than five organized crime outfits operating from Glasgow.

Curiosity: are the Gillespie brothers from Glasgow? There have been quite a lot of articles about them online, they were supposedly killed in Brazil or still on the run there; they are described as being quite powerful gangsters operating on international level.

Is there any good book about those other gangs in Scotland? As you said, Daniel and Lyons are the most publicized ones, so it would be interesting to learn about the others, if there is any information available to the public.

Yes, the Gillespies are from Rutherglen, which is in South Glasgow. As youngsters they were foot soldiers for Stephen Docherty - who at the time was the crime boss of Rutherglen and one of the biggest gangsters in all of Glasgow - and they took over the organization after his death. Extremely dangerous men. Glasgow locals can probably provide you with more intel, but lower level drug traffickers who ran afoul of their mob got punished severely...torture, dismemberments, kneecappings, sledgehammer beatings, etc...
Apparently they haven't been in contact with their associates for almost a year now. They were living in a luxury loft in Fortaleza. Some say they got into conflict with members from the local PCC chapter, others say another fellow Glasgow gangster had given the order to have them killed, another one says they had a conflict with other international drug traffickers (the Ndrangheta for instance also operates from Brazil), etc...and then there are others who say they're still under the radar and on the run hiding somewhere else. All I know is that when Brazilian gangs have you killed, you usually don't just "disappear". Most times they chop you up or set you on fire...but they don't make the effort to stuff your remains in some oil barrel or something like that. You're basically always found. As for the possibility of them being on the run; it's definitely possible. These guys are multimillionaires and they do have the resources to stay under the radar. Who knows?

There are tons of books on the Glasgow gang life, but I have to say I don't know if any of them are any good...